Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Scheduled tasks

by GianRoss / March 14, 2007 7:01 AM PDT

Hi there,

I'm new here and haven't gotten any resolution on any other, so-called, XP forums. Anyway, I'm looking to schedule some tasks, however, not all the tasks I would like to schedule are listed in the given menu. In which case I need to browse the task location. My question is, is there a command or list or anyway of finding out where these different tasks/scripts are located (ie. error-checking, shutdown, reboot etc.)? I was told no such thing exists, which if true, defeats the purpose of schedule tasks application. Please help me out with this if possible and if there is a suggested alternative, I would appreciate knowing what that is.

Thank you very much in advance

GR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scheduled tasks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scheduled tasks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scheduled Tasks
by Darton Fury / March 14, 2007 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Scheduled tasks

Tasks that are not listed, Defrag for example, must be run from a batch program or script. What tasks do you want to schedule? Google them to look for a free download.

Collapse -
Scheduled Tasks
by GianRoss / March 14, 2007 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Scheduled Tasks

I've been googling every keyword I can think of. What I would like to schedule, that are not in that scroll window are: error-checking (scandisk), defrag, shutdown/reboot. Are you suggesting I google "how to shutdown using scheduled tasks" and similar for what's not in the list?

thank you,

GR

Collapse -
I just Googled
by Darton Fury / March 14, 2007 8:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Scheduled Tasks

"download defrag batch file" and got many hits.

Collapse -
defrag program in xp not able to shedule defrag
by Basket628 / March 14, 2007 7:28 PM PDT
In reply to: I just Googled

took it out in xp but they added back to vista to use as shedule defrag not sure why they did not have it for xp but will not work in xp.

Collapse -
How to automate Disk Defragmenter using Task Scheduler XP
by Tufenuf / March 17, 2007 9:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
#1a should answer your ? since everyone has differences
by Cursorcowboy / March 14, 2007 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Scheduled tasks

1. The Scheduled Task Wizard is mostly but not entirely self-explanatory. Here are a few items however which might not be apparent at first glance:

a. Schedule any application, script, batch program, shortcut, or linked document -- anything which can be executed on a command line and include command-line arguments, but may require a visit to the task's properties dialog box after creating the task to be performed -- IOW, requires user intervention.

b. If a task is scheduled to run when my computer starts, that task will run as a noninteractive process and will continue to run, regardless of who is logged on, until the system is shutdown or it is terminated by the administrator.

c. If a task is scheduled to run when I log on for instance, the task actually runs interactively (provided it is designed to run that way) when anyone logs on. If someone else logs on, the task runs as a noninteractive process.

Note: If a task for your own use is expected to run interactively but someone else logs on before you, that task will run noninteractively. Windows XP leaves the task running when the other user logs off (because you own it) and does not start a second, interactive instance when you log on. Open Scheduled Tasks right-click the task and choose End Task Then right-click it again and choose Run.

Warning: Logon tasks do not run when using Fast User Switching to switch to another person's profile - even if the new user has not already logged on. Logon task that are not already running run only when someone logs on while all users are logged off.

d. The "AnswersThatWork" site states that through our support service we often come across problems caused primarily by programs running in the background, programs which in most cases start at the same time as Windows. Sometimes these programs are useful and need to be there; quite often, however, they are not needed, and in too many cases they cause severe problems. The pages below are from our in-house database and provide guidance on the usefulness or not of these programs, and removal procedures when recommended. In Windows 95/98/ME you can bring up the Task List by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del. In Windows NT4/2000/XP you bring up the Task List by right-clicking on the Task Bar and choosing "Task Manager"

Note: Use the alphanumeric buttons displayed at this site to determine the name, manufacturer or program name, and receive general tips.

2. Please read through these Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) article which may be applicable to a problem:

a. "Some Control Panel Tools Do Not Support the "Run as" Command (Q281560)."

? The following items in Control Panel do not display the Run as command when you hold down the SHIFT key, and right-click the tool:

b. "The Screen Stays Blank When the Computer Resumes from a Suspended Mode During Scheduled Tasks (Q283270)."

? When a scheduled task commences while a computer is sleeping, or has been suspended by the operator, the monitor continues to run in Power Management mode.

c. "Open Programs Misplaced on Taskbar and the Taskbar Displays "# Windows Explorer" (Q288097)."

? When the taskbar displays buttons for several running programs, the following Windows Explorer task bar button appears to group unrelated windows together numberWindows Explorer where number is the number of instances of Windows Explorer that you have...

d. "How to Add a Control Panel Tool to a Category (Q292463)."

? The Control Panel in Windows XP includes a Category view that divides specific tasks and Control Panel tools into different categories. This article describes how to add a Control Panel tool to a specific category.

e. "Tasks May Not Run If a User Has Changed the Account Name (Q303014)."

? In the Scheduled Tasks tool, if you run a task, and you had previously changed your account name, the task may not run. Also, when you create a task, you may receive the following error message: Task Scheduler An error has occurred while attempting to...

f. "The Log File in the Task Scheduler May Be Incorrectly Formatted and Difficult to Read (Q303204)."

? In the Task Scheduler service, when you click View Log on the Advanced menu, some of the text that is contained in the log file (Schedlgu.txt) may be incorrectly formatted and difficult to read.

g. "HOW TO: Schedule a Server Process in Windows XP Professional (Q305613)."

? This step-by-step article describes how to schedule a program to automatically start at a pre-determined interval. Schedule the Task Troubleshooting

h. "HOW TO: Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP (Q308558)."

? This step-by-step article describes how to troubleshoot scheduled tasks in Windows XP. If scheduled tasks do not run, you can use several methods to determine the source of the problem. NOTE: Administrators or users with administrator permissions can...

i. "HOW TO: Schedule Tasks in Windows XP (Q308569)."

? With Scheduled Tasks, you can schedule any script, program, or document to run at a time that is most convenient for you. Scheduled Tasks starts every time that you start Windows XP and runs in the background, and it starts each task that you schedule...

j. "HOW TO: Modify Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP (Q308671)."

? This article describes how to modify a scheduled task in Windows XP. After you create a scheduled task in Windows XP, you can modify the task's settings, stop or pause the task, or remove the task from the schedule. Opening Scheduled Tasks to Modify...

Note: See the Kellys-Korner instructions, "Scheduled Tasks - Applying/Running tasks without a password."

k. "HOW TO: Work with Scheduled Tasks on Remote Computers in Windows XP (Q310424)."

? This article describes how to configure scheduled tasks on remote computers. With administrative rights on a remote computer, you can view and manipulate the scheduled tasks on that computer. For example, it may be useful to create a scheduled task on...

l. "Scheduled Tasks Cannot Run with a Blank Password (Q310715)."

? After you schedule a task by using the Scheduled Tasks tool, the task may not run at the time you chose. If you view the status of the task, you may receive the following error message: The scheduled task did not run because no user account password...

m. "Task Scheduler Does Not Run Tasks When "Run As" User Account Has No Password (Q311119)."

? Task Scheduler may not run the tasks you or a third-party program specify. When you view Task Scheduler, you may see a "Could not Start" status next to the task.

n. "Hard Disks Do Not Turn Off After Your Computer Has Been Idle (Q313300)."

? When your Windows XP-based computer has been idle for an amount of time that is sufficient to make your hard disk turn off, your hard disk may not turn off. For example, even though your Turn off hard disk setting is set to 3 minutes, your hard disk...

o. "How to Schedule Unattended Backups by Using a Stand-Alone Tape Library (Q314844)."

? This article describes how the Windows backup tool (Ntbackup.exe) is designed to work with Removable Storage Manager (RSM) to manage media during a backup session. This method is especially effective if you have a tape library that holds several...

Note: You cannot select a CD-R (compact disc recordable), CD-RW (compact disc rewritable), or DVD-R (digital video disc recordable) device (file system-capable devices) because Removable Storage Management does not recognize them as backup pool media -- use either tape or hard drive.

Caveat: Your attention is directed to the article [Q328742] and its hyperlinks.

p. "How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP (Q315246)."

? This article describes how to use command-line options to configure the Disk Cleanup tool (Cleanmgr.exe) to automatically clean up certain files.

q. "INFO: Task Scheduler Behavior at Daylight Savings Time Transitions and Other Events (Q325413)."

? The behavior of the Microsoft Task Scheduler is not specified for tasks that are scheduled to run during the transition hours to and from Daylight Savings Time. Other events can also affect the actual time that a scheduled task runs. This article...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.