Computer Help forum

Question

Schedule URL download

by Valentino142 / April 29, 2014 5:39 PM PDT

Hi,

I'd like to download a file from URL at a scheduled time daily, and sent to Dropbox or some other cloud service. This would allow me to download the files even when offline or abroad. I have read about applications such as URL Droplet or SideCloudload, but these dont seem to allow scheduling of tasks. Or do they? Any other applications that might do the trick?

Being new here, I checked the forum for a similar question but couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance!

Valentino

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Schedule URL download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Schedule URL download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: schedule
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 29, 2014 5:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Schedule URL download

Once you can do it automatically (without human actions, so via a batchfile or script), you can use the task scheduler (in Windows) or cron (in Linux) to schedule that. No problem at all. No special software needed at all.

Kees

Collapse -
Task scheduler (Windows)
by Valentino142 / April 29, 2014 6:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: schedule

Kees, that's indeed the solution that I'm currently using. It worked great, however since a couple of weeks i'm running another program which conflicts with these downloads for some reason which is why i'm looking into a different solution... Tried to solve the conflict but it persists. Additionally, it happened a couple of times that my internet connection failed. A URL download service to Dropbox (if it exists) would therefore be very convenient.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Valentino

Collapse -
Answer
Schedule URL download
by Valentino142 / April 30, 2014 6:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Schedule URL download

Hi,

Short update, I checked another application called AutoFileMove and this allows to schedule downloads from URL/FTP and share with a.o. Dropbox, exactly as I was looking for. Good functionality! Downside is that only a paid version is available after the free trial period. As I will only be using the scheduling functionality of the many serices available, I will be looking further to something similar which is available for free.

Any suggestions for this?

Regards!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!