Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

scannow prompts for disk but I'm sure it has correct disk

Intel Dual Core 2.4Ghz / XP MCE SP2.

Running sfc /scannow I get the following message that is well documented on this forum and elsewhere: "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional SP2 CD-ROM now."

My problem is that I know I am using the correct CD, and I can't see why Slipstreaming should be necessary, but I still get the error.
Some history:

01 New PC supplied from manufacturer with XP MCE SP2 backup disk
02 Reformatted the HDDs and rebuilt the PC how I wanted it to be using this backup disk to load the o/s
03 After installing a particular application I started to get odd behaviour so ran sfc /scannow
04 The error reported above occurred so I checked that the CD has a full i386 directory (it does, of course given I used it to build the PC)
05 Copied the i386 directory from CD to become C:\i386
06 Edited the famous SourcePath and ServicePackSourcePath registry entries to C:\ instead of my master CD/DVD read writer M:\
07 Rebooted
08 Observed that scannow got further than before (looking at progress bar) but still eventually fails as reported
09 Tried moving i386 to c:\windows\i386, changing the registry settings, and rebooting, but same problem
10 Found reference to disabling the Group Security Policy for "Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user" but mine was already disabled

So, three questions, please:

1) Why does the error refer to a XP Pro SP2 disk when I am running XP MCE SP2?
2) How can scannow fail with this error when I know it is being pointed at the correct source i386 directory and I know it is using it?
3) Could a Windows Update have loaded a file that is not on the SP2 disk?

Very Grateful thanks; my head hurts, my eyes hurt, it's 03:24am here in the UK, and I'm going to bed with an unsolved software problem (I hate "defeat" Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: scannow prompts for disk but I'm sure it has correct disk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: scannow prompts for disk but I'm sure it has correct disk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The C:\i386 has an error (SP2)

In reply to: scannow prompts for disk but I'm sure it has correct disk

Also, it is Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386, you may be better off installing SP2 from www.windowsupdate.com.

Collapse -
Downloading SP2

In reply to: The C:\i386 has an error (SP2)

>>Also, it is Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

Thanks, but surely it matter not where I put i386, so long as the two registry entries point to it? I thought I had proven this already.

>>you may be better off installing SP2 from www.windowsupdate.com.

I tried to do this, but the website won't let me download SP2 because it is installed already. When I browsed the rest of Microsoft.com to find SP2 in a "downloadable" state, downloaded it, extracted the i386 folder, and performed scannow, a) I *still* got the reported error message and b) it also screwed up my network card (find it hard to believe NetGear would mess with Windows core files) and I had to revert to an old save point.

Collapse -
scannow prompts for disk but I'm sure it has correct disk

hi think the problem might be the disc your using. you need to have an original certified windows xp mce sp2 disc not a backup/recovery disc

one problem is microsoft only distributes these discs to MSDN subscribers and OEM system builders not any retail outlets

also mce is more or less xp pro with added extras and its the only version of xp to come with media centre software preinstalled

also have you tried a repair install

hope this helps dan

Collapse -
Scannow

>> I think the problem might be the disc your using. you need to have an original certified windows xp mce sp2 disc not a backup/recovery disc

So the fact that I was able to completely rebuild my PC from the ground up (reformat both HDDs, install XP MCE SP2 from the backup disc, install motherboard drivers from the supplied motherboard disc) doesn't imply that I have an original certified windows XP MCE SP2 disc? If so, I have just learned something for which I thank you, but am amazed; surely the majority of PCs come either preloaded with XP, some with a "backup disc" like mine, implying scannow can't work on the majority of machines?

>>also have you tried a repair install

No! Why not? Having read some horror stories, fear! I have a PC that works beautifully but on which scannow fails. As a matter of principle I want scannow to work (even though the dodgy software problem that prompted this thread is now solved) but not at the risk of breaking anything! I have been married to this machine more than my wife in the last week, and another few late nights / early mornings would go down like a lead Zeppelin! Wink

Thanks anyway!

hope this helps dan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.