Scanning Tech Tracker

by Ray_moe / October 14, 2009 12:55 AM PDT

I use Tech Tracker in manual mode.

In order to do a scan I have to open Icon on my desktop
Then open Icon in the taskbar
Then click on scan
Then click on open Tech Tracker page

As I am a member of Cnet and always logged on
I can click on Tech Tracker in the login bar and it opens to last scanned Tech Tracker page

If there was a scan button on that page it would eliminate a lot of steps to get a current updated page.

Hope I have made myself clear on my suggestion

Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanning Tech Tracker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanning Tech Tracker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It would be nice, but...
by John.Wilkinson / October 14, 2009 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Scanning Tech Tracker

If I understand the proposal correctly, it's not easily done. The reason is that the program you installed, not the website itself, scans your computer and uploads the information collected to produce the results. The website cannot readily launch that installed application due to the same security precautions that prevent malicious website designers from executing misc. software/commands on your computer when you visit their websites. The TechTracker team could create an option in the installed application to automatically scan your computer and load the results in your browser (assuming you're still logged into Cnet) when you launch the program from your desktop shortcut, but the reverse is much more complicated.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
Scanner
by Ray_moe / October 14, 2009 6:00 AM PDT

John

If I understand correctly the team could add an auto scan to the shortcut icon which would scan when you open the program.

Are you speaking of the way File Hippo update checker program open with a new scan every time you click on the shortcut icon.

That would be an improvement it would save numerous steps to get an updated page.

Thanks for the reply

Ray

Collapse -
Scanner
by Tucker Green / October 14, 2009 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Scanner

Ray,

Thanks for using TechTracker app and the suggested enhancement. John is correct about the challenges with initiating commands from a website. He offers a viable alternative. We'll include both suggestions as we consider enhancements to TechTracker app.

Tucker

Collapse -
Scanning Tech Tracker
by peter.coales / December 23, 2009 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: Scanning Tech Tracker

I have been searching for a manual option for weeks.
This is a great idea.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?