Cameras forum

General discussion

Scanning photos and getting alot of Snow/Noise: Help!!

by LateBloomer / June 24, 2006 3:10 AM PDT

I just purchased a HP2710 Photo Smart multifunction printer and am having some issues....I'm hoping with a few tips I can get this to work. I really wanted to purchase a cannon photo printer because from what I read they tend to produce better quality photos, but my company was willing to fork over $200 bucks towards a multifunction printer for my home office, provided it had fax capabilities and the 2710 fit the bill and it only ended up costing me 50 bucks so I can't complain, plus I'm only repriducing potos for home use so a slight difference in print quality doesn't make all that much of a difference. I've blown up some of my wedding photos to 8 x 10 in the past with really old equiptment (cannoscan scanner and an HP 810 deskjet printer....really really old) and they came out decent, but now 5 years later they are starting to degrade rapidly (skin tones are getting really pink). I know its due to the types of inks the old hp used regardless of the high quality paper I printed them on. Now that I have this new "somewhat" high end photoprinter I figured I'd replace all my 8x10 around the house. The problem I'm having is that when I scan the originals I'm getting alot of "snow/noise" in the picture. It is especially noticable in the dark areas....i.e. shadows, black tuxedeos, dark hair....etc. I'm pretty sure it's not an actual printer issue because I can easily see the snow/noise on my monitor (not just on the printed photos), so I'm assuming its a scanner issue. I did print a few 4x6 samples using the HP photo cartridge (instead of straight black) and high end paper just to try and not ruin any of my 8x10 paper first. As I thought, the snow/noise transferred to the printed image. I've tried scanning at multiple resolutions 300, 600, 1200 & 2400 and the on screen image still shows all of the snow/noise. I can only imagine if I increase picture size to 8x10 the problem will only be magnified. I've also played around with the image with the HP provided Image Zone software and any improvments I made only improved the image marginally.

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanning photos and getting alot of Snow/Noise: Help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanning photos and getting alot of Snow/Noise: Help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What originals are you using? How were they produced, and
by Kiddpeat / June 24, 2006 5:33 AM PDT

what size are they?

One possibility is that better equipment can 'see' defects in the originals a lot better. Better equipment is also better able to reproduce the defects.

If they are color photos, and you want to keep the color, one thing you can use is a noise filter like Noise Ninja. It will cut the noise, but will also blur the details slightly. I use a denoised layer on top of the original image layer. I then restrict the denoising, via a mask, to areas where the loss of detail is not an issue. Smooth skin and shadow areas are prime candidates for inclusion.

Collapse -
I thik I found the cause
by LateBloomer / June 24, 2006 5:46 AM PDT

The photos I am scanning are "textured" photos so the light from the scanner is reflecting off the hills n' valleys of the paper and are alot more apparent in the dark areas of the photo. Does any one have a solution for scanning textured finishes?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?