HolidayBuyer's Guide

Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

Scanning newspaper into a PDF

by chafer444 / March 22, 2008 10:33 PM PDT

Lately I've been looking at a new scanner and I've noticed they can scan documents into a pdf so I have 2 questions. Some newspaper clippings I copied using a microfilm reader and they came out very dark, like black ink on very gray paper. I'm curious if the scanning software that comes with most scanners can make the clippings once again look like black ink on white paper? I was also wondering if once the clipping is scanned into the pdf can I move it around so that they're positioned the way I want them or once the scan is done that's it, it's in the pdf never to be moved? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanning newspaper into a PDF
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanning newspaper into a PDF
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's a tough question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 11:56 PM PDT

Since there have been some thousands of scanners with untold softwares with untold features I will note that many turn to Photoshop or other image editing/enhancers to get some improvements.

Have you tried that?

Collapse -
No...
by chafer444 / March 23, 2008 12:44 AM PDT

I haven't actually tried doing this with any program. I thought I'd ask the question before I buy.

Collapse -
I hope you see that it can't be answered since...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2008 12:51 AM PDT
In reply to: No...

They change the bundled software with model and even from month to month. So pull back and look at the software you use today to enhance images.
Bob

Collapse -
Well...
by John.Wilkinson / March 30, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

Most scanners now include some form of an auto-correct feature which is designed to restore the scanned image to its original quality, so it may or may not make the text darker. There's no definitive way to predict that, though you could manually change the contrast and brightness if you wish to make it more readable.

As to scanning as a PDF, very few scanners include software that can edit PDFs, so they simply perform the task of scanning the image and then printing it to a PDF document. The software may or may not let you edit the positioning before saving it to a PDF, but you'd have to purchase something along the lines of Adobe Acrobat Professional to have the ability to modify the pdf file after it's been created.

Keep in mind, though, that using freeware such as PrimoPDF you can print any file to a PDF document. Thus, if the scanner doesn't support PDF as an output format you can save it as a JPG, TIFF, GIF, etc, modify them at will, and then print them to PDF files.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks John
by chafer444 / March 30, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

This is all pretty new to me and it never occurred to me to save the newspaper clippings as a JPEG first, arrange them the way I like and then put them into a PDF.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.