Question

Scanning msg - "insufficient memory"

Help! My scanner, a CANON MX 860 multi-function, was working fine with my computer a month ago. Now it has that error message above when I attempt to scan - wireless or connected via USB. I checked it using my husband's computer and was able to scan wirelessly with no problem.

Could some setting have changed in my computer?

I have an ACER with Windows 7.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

Cindy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Scanning msg - "insufficient memory"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Scanning msg - "insufficient memory"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Scanning

What type(s) of files are you scanning and where are you sending them?

- Collapse -
In Reply to: Scanning msg - "insufficient memory" by cacijo

The scanning I am attempting is a piece of paper with text on it. My computer will not accept the SCAN command.

- Collapse -
Issues with scan etc.

If your system (computer) runs other functions properly and the issues are just with the Canon unit, the first thing to do would be uninstall then reinstall the software for the Canon all in one unit. It could also be that you may need to update the drivers (a download from Canon's website) since the 860 shows as a Win Vista unit and perhaps needs updated software to run against Windows 7, this was NOT uncommon with many manufacturers after the transition, Vista to 7. That is not to say there might not be an issue aside from this/these that could create a problem but an uninstall reinstall is typically a starting point for such types of hardware.

- Collapse -
Scanning msg - "insufficient memory" by cacijo

I did as recommended both steps: a. uninstalled Canon MX 860 software and re-installed the program; b. I went to Canon's site and upgraded the driver to Windows 7. That didn't solve the 'insufficient memory' either. Darn!

I have since had a light bulb thought. 'Light bulb' doesn't solve it but is probably the reason for the error message:
Probably some setting has been messed up now due to an install in the last month of an older Canon LIDE 80 (60?) flat scanner unit. . . ??
I then un-installed the older scanner as it doesn't work with my current 64-bit Win 7.

Does this seem a likely reason behind the "insuffienct memory"? Maybe it latched onto the 32-bit?

CNET Forums