Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Scanners?

I have an Epson 3170 Photo scanner that has been serving me well and currently has a mechanical problem that I may not be able to resolve. The scanning mechanism will not return back from the end of its scan and it makes a horrid noise whenever I turn it on.

Has anyone experience with this problem? Has anyone solved the issue?

Has anyone any particular recommendations for a new scanner. The magazines last reviewed flatbed scanners that were not printer-scanner-coffee maker-fax machines-chauffeurs-golf caddies back in 2008 and I am concerned about the tendency of scanner makers to not support Apple's OS upgrades (most particularly Snow Leopard). Since Tiger was the 2008 Apple OS, I don't want to get burned the way HP did me when I needed to transition from Apple's System 9 to OS X.

I have a Mac Pro Cheese Grater with dual quad-core Nehalem processors running at a leisurely 2.93 GHz with 8G of DDR3 1066MHz system RAM. I regularly scan everything from letters to photographs, I do web design, video editing, compositing, and photo retouching with my Mac.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanners?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanners?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Microtek

In reply to: Scanners?

I had a Microtek scanner until about 5 years ago. It was awful ? slow and buggy. I dumped it and changed to Epson and still have it. It works as well as on day one. (I haven't had such success with Epson's cheap printers ? three failed over only three years, once a total seizure, twice paper jamming which I could not clear. All had to be replaced. I changed to Canon, iP4600, same low price, more reliable and intelligent.)

Collapse -
On the fix subject,

In reply to: Not Microtek

try removing the glass, unhooking the drive belt, sliding the head back to park position, putting the belt back on and powering up.

Works for an HP we have at work

P

Collapse -
I would have to disassemble

In reply to: On the fix subject,

The glass on the Epson doesn't come out that way. It looks like it could drop down and be taken out from underneath but then, you're all ready inside the case.

I'm going to see if I cannot do the repair. You may be onto something.

Collapse -
Epson Perfection 1660,

In reply to: I would have to disassemble

has only one screw holding the entire top on.

May be no need to remove the glass, just the whole top as one unit.

P

Collapse -
Impossible to repair

In reply to: Epson Perfection 1660,

Apparently the little gear that moves the scanner head is 60% stripped.

I have just purchased an Epson Perfection V30 scanner which is reported to work well with Snow Leopard. I shall try to offer a review here. I would note that all sites, save Epson's official site, do not indicate that the scanner comes with any Mac compatible software at all. That's a pretty glaring omission. Since Epson allows scanner owners to download software, I purchased from Buy.com, as they offered free shipping and had a lower price than all but the most shady-seeming outlets. At about $75.00, that's a pretty good price for a pretty good scanner.

I shall offer a review of the unit when I get it in. It was Editor's Choice in MacWorld.

Collapse -
it's software

In reply to: Not Microtek

not hardware. My Microtek 8700 still works great. The problem was their software (slow and buggy). Since I changed to VueScan it's like a brand new scanner, fast and reliable. And the file sizes got down considerably.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: it's software

I will remember that when re-equipping.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!