PC Hardware forum

Question

Scanner saving only part of scan

by evennewerbie / May 17, 2011 10:22 PM PDT

I just got back from repair my Epson Stylus SX600FW scanner/printer. (It had needed following giving signal 'Paper Jam' although I do not believe there was any jammed paper - could see none + you usually see this from your last page. I must say though I have got the hang of it myself mostly, I've found the paper handling of this model ridiculously delicate.)

I guess in the workshop they zero or adjust various settings. Anyway now I scan, see the image preview seems OK, on Edit Page the whole page seems there, I save and only a quarter if the page is in pdf or other document resulting. Never happened before. Have waded a bit through instructions but not found. What should I be looking at?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanner saving only part of scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanner saving only part of scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
It didn't do this before the repair?
by Steven Haninger / May 18, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

Did you call the repair facility yet? They should guarantee their work.

Collapse -
Well I HAVE called it
by evennewerbie / May 18, 2011 8:26 AM PDT

Well I HAVE called it but by the time I had got home, tried it out and phoned, the technician had gone home Plain and tomorrow I have to leave for a couple of weeks. Maybe I will just have time tomorrow to phone and register there is something wrong without having time to listen to the answer! I'd just wondered if this was something perfectly ordinary cured by pressing some button or something simple. Their work to do with paper feed I'd have thought has nothing to do with this, however it has not done it before.

Collapse -
OK got through this morning
by evennewerbie / May 18, 2011 6:44 PM PDT

OK got through this morning. I have a slight impression the guarantees repairers are concerned about here are for them not the clients Laugh , and they did say this was nothing to do with the part (document feed) that they intervened on as I said myself above. On the other hand if this problem had been there before taking the machine there I would have wanted them to see to it, have known and mentioned.

They gave me another tel no. to call which gave me another for technical assistance which asked me whether it photocopies normally, which it does, then they said I should disinstall the Epson software from my computer (I have not tried now I think of it to scan directly from machine controls as I have never ever done that but always done scans from computer) and reinstall it from disk. Why something should suddenly not work for no reason is mystery to me Confused - after all I do sometimes switch off or unplug the machine normally.

I will let know if all OK when I get back in couple of weeks - I had just wondered whether it was just some trivial problem of pressing the right buttons.

Collapse -
Actually this is sadly normal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2011 12:18 AM PDT

There are numerous examples of where the software fails after working for years. Sadly, there is no more finding the cause and changing apps so that doesn't happen again. We have fallen to repairing by wiping out and starting over.

It's an interesting problem of computing and I don't have a ready fix for this approach since it does seem to put machines and peripherals back into operation without getting gurus, programmers and corporations involved.

Good luck with the uninstall/reinstall of the software.
Bob

Collapse -
Update
by evennewerbie / August 4, 2011 5:23 AM PDT

I did disinstall the Epson programs and reinstall. It behaved with exactly the same fault as before.

I took it to an Epson maintenance shop. It worked OK there. The technician said it can't be a wifi communication computer-printer problem or I would not have been able to see all the things I see; it is only the last stage that fails. He suggested it was a problem of Adobe, some incompatibility of the latest version. (I update with the version they send me practically every month). In fact if I save as something other than .pdf , (well jpeg is the only one I tried) it is OK and the whole scanned document is saved.

So I disinstalled and reinstalled Adobe. The reinstalled version is less updated than the one I had, 9.2 instead of 9.4.5 for some reason. But scanning I still get the same defect.

I can view old pdf files OK though. Phew. But I'd like to still be able to make them, aren't they the default option for some good reason?

So now the problem origin is better localised does that suggest anything to anyone?

(I will get back to Epson too later, after further travel.)

Collapse -
What's different at the Epson shop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2011 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Update

I could not tell if you took your machine and it all worked there.

If so, I would be looking at the wifi router and turning off the firewall there. AND NO. These firewalls in routers are very new. We did fine without them for years and some folk don't want to try this. Sadly it means we wait for them to tenderize.
Bob

Collapse -
I have a firewall?
by evennewerbie / August 4, 2011 9:11 AM PDT

Yes I took it in and the technician tried it out and it all worked there. Of course I could not follow much he was doing and the look of everything is different to mine at home, but my scanner was scanning showing on screen entire saved pages as at home and printing them.

Er - I have a "Netgear WG111T - 108 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter". Is that a router?
I cannot find the word in its user manual, nor the word "firewall".

Collapse -
correction
by evennewerbie / August 4, 2011 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a firewall?

for clarity - showing entire pages at edit stage as at home and showing entire pages at saved stage unlike at home.

Collapse -
Your router can have a firewall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2011 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I have a firewall?

The WG111T is just a wifi adapter stick.

Collapse -
Oops silly me
by evennewerbie / August 5, 2011 5:10 AM PDT

"The WG111T is just a wifi adapter stick."

OK, that is the part I normally see. Now I've located the Netgear ADSL Modem router dg834gt.

Seen the manual online (vast). There is a part about how you can change the rules of access "block or allow access". No, for various reasonings that doesn't sound the place to intervene.

"Restoring the Default Configuration and Password" sounds more the thing to do from what you said, Proffitt?

The printer is usually operated from 2 different computers at home plus sometimes my netbook. Only ever scanned from my own computer. Could 'restoring a default configuration' (don't know what that is, i.e. what the technician who set up the whole wi-fi did) risk deny access from other computer. Basic non-understanding sorry.

Collapse -
It's mildly complicated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2011 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops silly me

Wifi printers and scanners don't really get connected to our PCs but connect to the wifi router and then our PC sees the thing. However for many reasons folk have a hard time with wifi devices like this. Including trying to make them work in more than one place. That could be the tough one to solve as I don't know of one all in one wifi thing that can seamlessly move from one wifi network to another.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?