Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Scanner Problems with SP2

by sheard / November 30, 2004 9:49 PM PST

I run XP Pro and updated to SP2
I have a Umax Astra 1220S Scanner, which is buitl like a tank and has given good service until the update of SP2
Now it does not see the scanner
I have sent in total 14 E-Mails to Umax support and received no help whatsoever
I have uninstalled SP2 and reinstalled SP2
I have uninstalled Umax and reinstalled Umax
I have downloaded the latest software for Umax
I have opened the box
I have earthed myself
I have removed and reseated all cards, and ram etc.
I have checked all cables
I have checked all connectors for displaced pins
You name it and I will swear that I have done it
Before asigning this trusty servant to the disposal unit
HAS ANYONE GOT AN IDEA THAT I HAV'NT TRIED ?

The motto is do not buy Umax they could not care less once they have sold you a duff product.
That goes for thier Head Office too who ignore communications.

I posted this on Hardware and though people made suggestions none were effective
Bob Poritt sugested this Forum

Is there anyone with a suggestion?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scanner Problems with SP2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scanner Problems with SP2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Scanner Problems with SP2
by Papa Echo / November 30, 2004 10:28 PM PST
it does not see the scanner
Do you mean when you tried to scan you get a message like "Scanner not found." ? Or the Umax was not detected by windows ? Please describe what happened. We need all the clues to solve the puzzle. e.g. :

Is the Umax USB, Parallel or whatever ? After you reinstalled the scanner, was it listed at "Scanners and Cameras" at control Panel or at the Device Manager ? Can you describe how you reinstalled the scanner, i.e. the procedure ?
Collapse -
Sorry
by sheard / November 30, 2004 11:10 PM PST

No problems installing SP2
The Scanner is a Parralel conection and the pc does not see it at all niether is there any Cameras or Scanners shown in hardware
Nor do the drivers work new or old

Collapse -
That explains it to me. Parallel port scanner. No support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 1:39 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

"Windows XP users: A Windows XP Patch is required. Use the form above to check for Windows XP compatibility. All UMAX parallel port scanners (i.e., Astra 300P, 600P, 610P and 1210P) are not supported under XP."
- https://www.umax.com/support/

I guess you have to read it over and over till you give up?

I've seen such work and then fail. If you want to keep it, then you have to unroll SP2.

Bob

Collapse -
But it did work under XP
by sheard / December 1, 2004 5:15 AM PST

That is what is so infuriating
I here what you say but remember it is always better to keep a customer you have than spend Thousands trying to get a new one

When you have a customer molly coddle him and he keeps on buying

Collapse -
That's not a sale...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 5:19 AM PST

I read it, but don't see how this generated any code monkey money.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: But it did work under XP
by Papa Echo / December 1, 2004 7:22 AM PST

Regarding the new driver from Umax (you did download it, didn't you ? ) - did it say "...for XP2..." or something to that effect ?

Collapse -
''Umax''
by Cursorcowboy / November 30, 2004 10:43 PM PST

Even though you do not describe the situation explained in the article[Q873161], that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and you are prompted to restart the computer, the computer starts, but before you can log on, the computer begins to continuously restart. However, perhaps if the scanner is not installed at the time SP2 is installed, you may be able to use that later driver you downloaded.

Collapse -
Re: ''Umax''
by sheard / November 30, 2004 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: ''Umax''

No problems installing SP2
The Scanner is a Parralel conection and the pc does not see it at all niether is there anyCameras or Scanners shown in hardware

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ''Apparent'' from your #1. What about suggestion?
by Cursorcowboy / November 30, 2004 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: Re: ''Umax''
Collapse -
?
by sheard / November 30, 2004 11:21 PM PST

Sorry Cursor Cowboy you have lost me , or maybe that I am thick
What do you mean by" Suggestion "

Collapse -
Re: ?
by retired / December 1, 2004 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: ?

Sheard, It's a matter of compatability and how far a company is willing to go to keep up with Operating systems and service packs, updates ETC. Apparently that Co. has not kept up to date. For example I have used an AFGA Snapscan 1212u for 5 years and it has gone thru Win 98,98se, Win ME, XP-Sp1 and SP2 and it still works fine.

Collapse -
I agree
by sheard / December 1, 2004 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Re: ?

If one company can do it why can another not do it ?

Collapse -
One answer. Money for the code monkeys.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: I agree

The battle in the company is to find ways to lower the costs of the new products. Old, non-revenue producing models can't be funded for driver updates if the new models must be the lowest cost.

And owners of old scanners will not pay any amount of money for drivers to be written.

The stories change a bit but even I do not write company code unless there is an incentive.

bob

Collapse -
see my comments above
by sheard / December 1, 2004 5:17 AM PST

This is good business practice

Collapse -
Still no solution
by sheard / December 2, 2004 5:30 AM PST

I am about to throw it out of the window

Collapse -
Why not live without SP2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: Still no solution

Many get by, by adding a firewall and switching to another browser.

Bob

Collapse -
Or,, Maybe
by retired / December 2, 2004 6:21 AM PST

It's time to play Taps over the UMAX, and salute it's good prior service??

Collapse -
Re: Still no solution
by Papa Echo / December 2, 2004 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Still no solution

Go to the Umax site and try to find a XP2 supported driver for a model which is similar or close to yours and see whether it works with your scanner. It may work, but without all the features of the original driver. Or try installing all the parallel port model drivers to find the most suitable one. Happy hunting.

Collapse -
NT
by sheard / December 4, 2004 1:01 AM PST

Bump

Collapse -
UMAX and WinXP/SP2
by Cursorcowboy / December 5, 2004 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: NT

1. I have downloaded the latest software for Umax

Re: Astra 1220S drivers for WinXP and the "UMAX" site:

(Quote)

SilverFast SE 6.0
This software IS NOT downloadable.
Available on CD-ROM only.

This product is non-returnable and non-refundable.

VistaScan 3.55
This software IS NOT downloadable.
Available on CD-ROM only.

This product is non-returnable and non-refundable.
File Size: - 8.93 MB
Updated: 02/14/2002

(Unquote)

2. The article [Q293356] provides a list of scanners that are supported by Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) in Windows XP. These scanners have WIA device drivers that are, or that will soon be included in Windows XP, and reflects the "Astra 1220S". Whether the hyperlink included in this article includes addition drivers for the peripheral, I do not know.

Note: See the topic "How Users Get Drivers from Windows Update" which may or may not help.

3. "[url=http://www.umax.com/support/knowledge/index.jspUninstall" the UMAX software utilizing one of the items in this listing -- hopefully. Otherwise, use what works.

4. After booting the computer afterwards with the scanner detached so Windows does not attempt to install anything, update the computer with Windows SP2.

5. After checking everything and SP2 appears correctly installed, reinstall the UMAX scanner with drivers using the manufacturers instructions.

P.S. The above is nothing more that what I alluded to when I made my "last suggestion" which you elected to not do.

Collapse -
My sincere appologies to Cursor Cowboy
by sheard / December 6, 2004 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: UMAX and WinXP/SP2

I have caught the proverbal Bug and have been quite ill
will follow your suggestions and report back

Collapse -
re: umax astra 1200s and XP
by jabaum / March 15, 2005 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: UMAX and WinXP/SP2

I would like your opinion on whether you think it is worthwhile to update to VistaScan 3.55 for $20 and get a scsi card in addition so that I can use the scanner (that I had originally bought for my 486 years ago); or would you just junk it and buy a new scanner/copier/printer. This would be for a few times a month, obviously non-professional use.

Collapse -
Why spend time and money on an old scanner
by glb613 / March 15, 2005 6:50 PM PST

when you could put that money towards a new one that is better?

Collapse -
Definitely no. BTDT!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2005 8:18 PM PST

Let's say you got your SCSI. The next pit you find yourself in is finding drivers for your new combo.

I can't help you either.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Scanner Problems with SP2
by Cetin Denislam / December 4, 2004 9:44 PM PST

Your scanner is connected to a SCSI card (it?s not a parallel port scanner). So, find out what is your scsi card?s type:

Is it ISA ? See UDS-IS11/ISA SCSI Controller Card

or

Is it PCI ? See UDS-IS11/PCI SCSI Controller Card

1. If it?s ISA card is the yellow jumper on PNP position ?

2. Give more details regarding your PC?s hardware configuration

3. From where did you installed the drivers (i.e. from the Umax CD or downloaded from a third party web site. In this case, give the URL).

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Sorry
by sheard / December 6, 2004 2:58 AM PST

Been somewhat incapacitated of recent
Will look into your suggestions and will send you my findings
Thank you

Collapse -
Are you still interested in a solution ?
by Papa Echo / March 15, 2005 10:12 PM PST

Care to share how you install the scanner ? There are at least two ways.....

Collapse -
SP2
by dreaming--2008 / March 26, 2005 2:06 AM PST

Dear Sheard,
I can't help you with the SP2 veruses your Umax scanner, but what I want to tell you is that it is probably SP2 that is creating the problem and not the scanner. I have SP2 on my computer, which came form my automatic updates. After it was installed on my computer I lost my RUN command. When I contacted my tech he told me that SP2 has created more problems than good. I also understood from him that uninstalling SP2 really does not uninstall all of it.
Hope this might help a little.
dreaming

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?