General discussion

Scanner Problems

I have an HP deskjet 3650 scanner and it won't scan!!! I've got a PowerBook G4 and everytime I launch the scanning programme and click on 'preview scan' the icon bounces up and down and then stops and does nothing.

I checked in Apple Stytem Profiler and the computer can't see the scanner. But the scanning programme can!

I know it's not the scanning programme coz I installed a new one and it did the same thing. The funny thing is that when I uninstall the programme the computer can see the scanner.

What can I do?

Please if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Scanner Problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Scanner Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Scanner Problems

Snooprat,
Is the 3600 a very tiny white and silver model scanner and comes with a transparency unit built into the cover? Is that the one you have? If it is the same scanner, there is a problem with the software from HP. Contact HP Tech group.

Do you launch the scanner from the software or do you push the buttons on the front of the scanner itself to run a scan?
The 3600 should be opened from the HP app folder. At work, there was a new 3600 delivered only three weeks ago, and there was a whole host of problems trying to scan. Our tech person suggested only work from the HP software and do not push a button to scan on the front of the new scanner. There is also not a power start or stop on the front of the scanner. The scanner is not made in the USA. Imported.
I had recently purchased a 4570C HP Scanner and everything seems to be OK. Is the 3600 the very small inexpensive new model? I will bet it never came with OCR software.
Have you contacted HP? If you haven't, I suggest that you do. There is a conflict with the HP 3600 and the Mac maybe. Our IT guys are still working on it.
I will let you know in a few days, if they (IT) ever get back to me.
In the meantime, open up the HP app and make sure you can run the scanner from their software.
Hope this helps. You are not alone with the 3600 problens. Maybe it was designed for the PC first and the software adapted to fit the Mac.

Kevin

- Collapse -
Scanner

No it's big and blue (3670) I've tried to contact HP but they haven't replied. Also, I tried the software on a different computer and it worked!!! It was an IBook G4 not too much different to my one. All the buttons on the scanner don't work when I press them. It doesn't seem to do anything when I try to scan or open the settings folder.

I was wondering if it's possible to scan directly into another application instead of going through the imaging director. I think that's the problem.

Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to try and get in contact with HP again.

Cheers,

SR.

- Collapse -
Scan directly into applications

Yes, you can scan directly into applications such as Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, etc. I frequently scan things directly into Photoshop because it saves steps.

In both of these programs, it's File > Import >

Good luck!

- Collapse -
Scanner

Have you tried going through Adobe Photoshop yet?
Give that a try. Look for the scanner software through Photoshop after aquire.
Just a thought.

CNET Forums

Forum Info