Computer Help forum

General discussion

scanner or all in one?

by deez / December 17, 2004 3:55 PM PST

We were looking to purchase a flat bed scanner to scan sheet music, but were wondering if we should go with the all in one scanner, copier and printer. (We already have a new printer that we just bought with our computer.) Anyone know the pros and cons of purchasing a scanner vs. an all-in-one? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: scanner or all in one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: scanner or all in one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One major con
by Yew / December 17, 2004 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: scanner or all in one?

There are two basic philosophies regarding these types of devices which can be descibed nicely by looking at the differences between Unix and Windows.

In the Unix world, people tend to like a large number of small programs. Each program focuses only on a single task. This lowers the overall complexity of the program and makes it easier to find and fix any bugs. You can also string together unique combinations of programs to generate an almost infinite number of possibilities. The tradeoff is that you sometimes have to string together a number of programs to get the results you want.

In the Windows world, people tend to like huge single applications that do almost everything. This increases the complexity of the programs, making it much harder to track down and find bugs. Of course at the same time, you've got this single unified app that does everything from make coffee to create world peace, and you're still limited to whatever features work reliably for you.

Personally, when I look at multi-function devices, I just ask myself, "What if something breaks?" I either end up buying a second device to replace lost functionality, or going without the other features while the one is being repaired. So I'm more of a Unix person you could say. One device, focusing on one function, and performing that function as well as posible. If you are willing to take that gamble, don't let me stop you. Combo devices can be cheaper and less mess cable wise than individual components. Just figure out what your course of action would be if any of the functions of the device stopped working.

Collapse -
Re: Scanner or all-in-one?
by Kees Bakker / December 17, 2004 9:48 PM PST
In reply to: scanner or all in one?

Pro all-in-one:
- Faster, easier copy
- Copy with PC turned off
- Takes less space (if you discard of your other printer)
- Probably better copy quality (but: try and compare!)
- Less cables (if you discard of your other printer)

Contra all-in-one:
- You already have a printer, so why buy another
- More expensive to replace if one component breaks down (see above post)

Not known:
- Price of cartridges of different makes. Both the original and the clones. If you print a lot, the price of the ink is much more important than the price of the printer.
- Capabilities of both printers. It's very handy (and cheap with paper and ink) if a printer has the option to print two pages to one in reduces format.

In essence, it's the same question as with a hifi-set (integrated or separate components) or a TV-DVD/TV-video combination. The same arguments apply.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?