Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Scandisk - Standard or Thorough

by mizbaby / April 6, 2004 5:56 AM PDT

I run Scandisk Standard several times a week or if an error pops up (Windows 98), but how necessary is it to run the Thorough, and if it is, how often would you suggest? I mean I don't quite understand. Is it possible that I can have errors on my computer, but Scandisk Standard shows no errors? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scandisk - Standard or Thorough
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scandisk - Standard or Thorough
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Scandisk - Standard or Thorough
by Kees Bakker / April 6, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

Scandisk standard checks the administration of files and where they are and what parts of the disk are still available for new files. After an illegal shutdown, there can be errors in those parts, and then scandisk is run automatically when you boot. It's a good idea to run scandisk before you run defrag, but that's all. Several times a week is very, very frequent, and generally unnecessary. What kind of error triggers you to run it? Either it's the wrong respons to that error, or there's something wrong with your computer, I should say. If you like, tell more about it.

A thorough scandisk checks if all sectors (every square micro-inch so to say) is undamaged, and marks them unusable if they are damaged. You'll lose the information that it contained.
That's a nice function for diskettes (which build up damaged sectors over time), and it's practically never necessary to run on a hard disk. Only when there is a definite reason to do so, which I've never seen in fact. Note the rule of thumb for a hard disk: replace if a thorough scandisk finds errors.

Hope this helps,

Kees

Collapse -
You Do Not Need To Run Scandisk
by pfeffer3 / April 6, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

Everytime that you activate Defrag, scandisk automatically runs and checks for errors. If a problem is found, Defrag will not run and a message notification appears on screen. And, you will have to run Scandisk Through to fit problem. Once problem has been corrected by scandisk, then Defrag will run.

Collapse -
Re:You Do Not Need To Run Scandisk
by pekae / April 12, 2004 8:45 AM PDT

When I attempt to run defrag, I have never seen scan disc come and run. So I brought scan disc up and ran the thorough check and checked to repair, it ran,(it took over 4-hours to complete) and then it listed all that it had done and said that all faults on the drive had been repaired. Defrag will still not run. It goes up to about 1 or 2 percent and then goes back to zero, repeatadly.

Collapse -
Pekae, Please Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 12, 2004 10:15 AM PDT

First, run a thorough scandisk again and continue to run it till it comes up with NO Errors. After opening Scandisk, I place a CHECK mark in ?Automatically Fix Errors. Click on the "Advanced" button, then make sure the settings look like this:
Display Summary=Always
Log File=Replace Log
Cross-linked File=Delete
Lost File Fragments=Free
Check Valid Files For=Place a check in ALL of the options
Check Host Drive First

After that, then please click on the link and use the instructions there to run Defrag. Most often, running Scandisk and Defrag in "Safe Mode" will get the job done, but I prefer to do it in "normal" Windows if possible using these instructions:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=17721&messageID=194073

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Scandisk - Standard or Thorough
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 6, 2004 1:12 PM PDT

Just my procedures.

I run a standard Scandisk on Windows 98 machines once every month or two, unless the machine appears to need some TLC. Removing "cross linked" files and other errors can help things run a little smoother but is certainly not needed multiple times in a week. After opening Scandisk, I place a CHECK mark in ?Automatically Fix Errors. Click on the "Advanced" button, then make sure the settings look like this:
Display Summary=Always
Log File=Replace Log
Cross-linked File=Delete
Lost File Fragments=Free
Check Valid Files For=Place a check in ALL of the options
Check Host Drive First

About every 6 months, or so, I run a "thorough" Scandisk in order check for disk problems and sector errors. As mentioned earlier, the "thorough" version can give you a "heads up" in relation to possible hard drive problems.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Scandisk - Standard or Thorough
by chuckieu / April 7, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

I go with most of Grif's method. I do "Thorough" and "Automatically fix errors" every time. But I only run Scandisk once a month(or two). I defrag every week or two, depending on how much I add and delete programs.
Although necessary, Scandisk and Defragment are hard on the HDD. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.