Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ScanDisk hangs my bootup

by niqandsandy / January 23, 2006 9:02 AM PST

Hi - I'm running Win XP run Scanro SP2. Recently, when I run ScanDisk on a locked drive eg the drive with my op system and it suggests I run it at bootup, the bootup fails (and there is no Scan)- after the initial beep and basic b&w info, the screen just goes blank (no mouse pointer etc) - the red light flashes away on my PC box indicating a lot of hard drive activity though, but I've left it half an hour and it's got nowhere. Exactly the same happens if I instruct my anti-virus program to do a boot-time scan (Avast). My only recourse is to press F8 at bootup and select Start with Last Good Configuration and I can get back into Windows. Any ideas what's gone wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ScanDisk hangs my bootup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ScanDisk hangs my bootup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP does not have SCANDISK. Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 9:06 AM PST

For now, just don't run this program. Try XP's CHKDSK instead.

Bob

Collapse -
I mean Check Disk
by niqandsandy / January 24, 2006 7:03 AM PST

Yes - I mean Check Disk. The thing you get when you do Error Checking in Win XP by right clicking the Properties of a Drive and selecting the first tool in Tools.

Exactly the same happens if I open a command prompt and do CHKDSK or CHKDSK /f - it tells me it will run at boot up, but again it hangs the system.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Try it in SAFE MODE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: I mean Check Disk
Collapse -
Safe Mode
by niqandsandy / January 24, 2006 4:34 PM PST

Thanks Bob,

I booted up in Safe Mode and ran CHKDSK from the command prompt. On the drives I have files and programs on, it offered a dismount and then went through with the error checking (with no reported errors). Likewise the C drive which I have Win ME on. With the D drive which has XP on (and the G drive on the 2nd HDD which has the paging file) it offered to run the check at reboot. I went through with this on 2 occasions and on both, I got a blue screen which said:

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I'm pretty sure the PC internal speaker mad a small click (not a beep) during the boot up also.

I then had to reboot and select Last Known Configuration to get a normal boot up.

I also tried telling Avast AntiVirus to run a boot time scan when I got back into Safe Mode. This time at boot up I got the same problem as before (no blue screen) ie the scan doesn't appeat to run, I just get a blank screen and lots of red light HDD activity - I have realised however that when this happens (either through the antivirus scan or a CHKDSK scan) I can simply press ESCAPE to continue a normal boot up.

Not sure if this gives you any clues? Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,

Nick

Collapse -
" I can simply press ESCAPE to continue a normal boot up."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: Safe Mode

This may mean it didn't hang up. A scan at boot could take hours.

Bob

Collapse -
continued..
by niqandsandy / January 25, 2006 6:03 AM PST

Thanks Robert,

Yes, I realise this, but until a week or so ago, I could see the scan going on in black & white, whereas now I get a blank scree. As I remember, you normally only get the chance to press Escape to cancel it before it actually commences - once the scan is underway, you are locked into it: now I can press Escape at any time. I've tried scanning only the C drive, which is small (5Gb) with only Win ME on it and it hangs for far longer than a normal scan might have taken to complete.

Any other ideas. Do you think I have HDD hardware problem or is it more likely to be a software setting?

Collapse -
any ideas
by niqandsandy / January 31, 2006 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: continued..

Hi any further ideas from Robert or anyone else following my last post?

Collapse -
There's a new clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2006 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: continued..

I've heard reports if partition magic was involved. Maybe I missed that?

Bob

Collapse -
p magic
by niqandsandy / January 31, 2006 4:04 PM PST
In reply to: There's a new clue.

I have used P magic to partition and resize the drives, but not recently and this problem is very recent. I've always been able to use CHKDSK and the Anti-virus program's boot time scan until this problem occurred in the last few weeks.

Collapse -
Scandisk hangs my Bootup
by thyde9337 / January 25, 2006 4:59 AM PST

I have read the later messages about this problem (CHKDSK not Scandisk). I had exactly the same problem with a Dell Dimension 4100 computer using Windows ME. You may also find that you cannot run Restore or Disk Defragmenter. The cause in my case was a faulty hard disk which I have now replaced. You need to visit the support website of the company which manufactured your hard disk and download their program for checking the integrity of their disks. Since different manufacturers have different programs I cannot be more precise, I have tried both Maxtor and Hitachi programs. I used one for my faulty disk (Maxtor) and the program advised a new disk.

T.Hyde

Collapse -
Thanks
by niqandsandy / January 25, 2006 5:57 AM PST

Thanks - Restore and Diskkeeper Lite, my defrag program both work.

Collapse -
I would
by phantazy / January 31, 2006 6:22 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Run chkdsk /f/p from the Recovery Console as my next move, and if no result, I'd continue with 'bootcfg'.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?