Computer Help forum

General discussion

Scandisk errors

I'm having tons of problems running scandisk on my presario running WinME. Every time I reboot, scandisk runs (even if it is a clean reboot). 19/20 times I reboot, I get an error message saying "scandskw caused an error in IPHLPAPI.DLL scandskw will now close." Half of the time this happens, I'll have to reboot my comp (either by alt+ctrl+delete or by turning off the power) because the screen either freezes or nothing else loads after I close the error message. Sometimes that error message is followed by these: "Autochk caused an error in KRNL386.EXE" or "Msgsrv32 caused an error in KRNL386.EXE"

In the rare event that those errors don't show up, scandisk either keeps restarting because some other windows program is writing to it or it runs, but has picked up all of these other scans it never had before like "checking ____ sector of 16/438" or "checking ____ cluster of 1,049,379." I haven't been able to finish a scandisk check lately (whether it be a standard or thorough check) because it always starts restarting after checking 112K of those 1+ mill clusters.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I've tried defragging my comp, but it keeps telling me I have to run scandisk in order to fix errors on my C drive. And I'm almost positive it isn't a virus or spyware problem because I have updated Norton, Spyware S&D, Spyware Doctor, and AdAware.

Please help!!!

Melissa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scandisk errors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scandisk errors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Scandisk errors

In reply to: Scandisk errors

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Scandisk errors

Bob- thanks for the quick response!

I wasn't able to use the solutions posted at that link because they were strictly for Word problems with iphlpapi.dll and not scandisk. But from what I gathered, the AOL version is the one causing that person's error. I went ahead and deleted the aol version of iphlpapi.dll and restarted. I'm still getting the scandisk error. From the message, I'm assuming it's the Windows version that is faulty (aside from the obvious being that I deleted the Aol version, the error message and windows version were both in upper case letters IPHLPAPI.DLL).

Anyone know how to fix it or where I can download a new one to replace the faulty one?

Collapse -

What?

"Aha!

Disable AIM's integration with Outlook Express. ..."

I take it that you didn't read the entire discussion. Try it again?

Bob

Collapse -

You're right, I didn't. I ended up clicking a link that I can't find now. Two problems now. I don't have AIM, so I can't "disable the 'Make AIM my default instant messaging program' option." And my OE freezes up after I open it (I haven't used this in a couple years, so I haven't noticed until now). It also suggests redownloading AIM, but I really don't want to unless it's the only way to do it.

There's also this link http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/dll_iphlpapi.phtml and I've done all the steps listed except replace the iphlpapi.dll file in C:/Windows/System because my comp won't let me.

I'm getting a bit frustrated, and you probably are too.

Collapse -
Frustrated?

Not me. My machine works super.

But I don't allow ANY malware on the machine. It's my choice that nothing noted by Adaware, Spybot, Housecall stays on the machine.

My bet is some pest in on the machine.

As to you not clicking and reading the link, what can I write? Some want a "do-this" answer, but your issue is not one of those. You'll have to use tools to eject pests and see if it's that. It would be nice to know all about the machine, such as AIM, no-AIM and all, but that's asking far too much. So I give it my best shot.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Scandisk errors

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.