HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Scandisc after improper shutdown

by walters509 / April 1, 2004 7:28 AM PST

My computer always runs ScanDisc after an improper shutdown (which happens too often because my internet provider tends to freeze my computer occasionally). I never used to worry about it because the scan took about 2 minutes. After a recent shutdown, however, the scan took over two hours. The recent scan was "thorough" and I suspect the previous scans may have been "standard." But it wouldn't allow me to change from thorough to standard during the automatic scan. My only option was to cancel, or let it do the thorough search. When I clicked on Microsoft help topics under scandisc, it did not appear to give me an option to preset scandisc to standard scan when there is an improper shutdown in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scandisc after improper shutdown
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scandisc after improper shutdown
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Scandisc after improper shutdown
by xcks / April 1, 2004 11:54 AM PST

A thorough scan is by default and there is no option to change it. And if there was youd be done useing your computer permently lol.
Im not so sure why you think your ISP is the problem. It sounds like your computer is having the problem, you just have not given enough information for a suggested fix. How are you shutting off your computer? Sounds like you are pressing the power button to off or holding it in until the computer "resets" This is not good. Rebooting is a good place to start in healing your computer AFTER a short period of useing it and BEFORE it freezes. Short periods of use (time wise - maybe 30 minutes?) of doing normal things, followed by a reboot. Until this happens finding the problem may be more difficult.
Also someone smarter than me can inform you on how to check on what problems exist, while your waiting for that information, I suggest you not "use it till it freezes" and "improperly shut it off" This is not good practice and is very hard on your computer.
Good luck! Oh and allowing it to finish a task (example: letting a page fully load before you take off to another or pressing the back button to previous page) types of activity are not helping eaither. Until you get things worked out. This is wadding up the computer as well.

Collapse -
''Event''?
by Cursorcowboy / April 1, 2004 10:27 PM PST

Read about this subject in the forum "link."

Collapse -
Re:Scandisc after improper shutdown
by David Chan / April 1, 2004 10:42 PM PST

BTW, in XP ChkDsk has replaced Scandisk.

Are you using FAT32 and not NTFS?

Occassionally I do a reset or improper shutdown and most times XP does not perform the ChkDsk on my NTFS drives.
You did not provide sufficient info for anyone to suggest a solution.

What ISP are you using...dial-up or DSL/Cable?
Is your XP fully updated with SP1 & all critical updates?

Are your drivers for Video, sound etc... updated?

Is your XP an upgrade install and not a clean install?

Is your PC free of parasites/worms/spyware?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Scandisc after improper shutdown
by xcks / April 2, 2004 3:13 PM PST

A few more after thoughts to concider. Aside from posting information about your computer make, model, etc...
Is maybe "java" (thats the coffee cup looking icon that pops on next to the clock at certain sites, usually gameing sites) this sometimes stops/freezes a computer in its tracks. If so there are simple solutions for that.
Maybe try this when it freezes: press and hold
ctrl alt buttons then "tap" delete, on the box that pops up select (select by=left click mouse on what is running) the program/internet page should already be selected/highlighted) and choose "end task" There is a 99% chance that another pop up box will say "this program is not responding" end task? or cancel?
Select "end task" you may have to do this as many as 3 times before it ends the task.
This is much better method than what I believe you are doing when your pc freezes. Im sure if you post more info about your computer as well as if you happen to be at a certain site you frequent, better awnsers will be avaible to assist you.
Let us know!
p.s. press n hold ctrl alt buttons then tap delete press n hold ctrl alt buttons then tap delete
(2 times in a row) will "reset" your computer in a better way as well.

Collapse -
Thanks everybody
by walters509 / April 3, 2004 7:37 AM PST

I do appreciate you folks having taken the time to respond to my inquiry. I know nothing about computers (as was already painfully obvious). I am running Win ME, and it was a used machine when I bought it. The isp (more embarrassment!) is WalMart Connect (dialup). I will try tapping the escape button the next time it happens. I have tried hitting alt/control escape and alt/control/delete (but I don't think I tapped). I have even tried unplugging the phone jack from the wall and waiting 10 minutes. Nada. The freeze is not an everytime thing, but often enough to be annoying. It is likely to happen anyplace on the isp, including the welcome screen. I think my specific question was answered, you can't reset scandisc to do only a standard scan after an improper shutdown (yes the only solution I found was holding the power button until it turned off). Why the most recent scan took 2 hours, instead of the usual 3 minutes, I don't know.

Collapse -
Re:Thanks everybody
by Hugh / April 4, 2004 7:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks everybody

If you are using ME I think the Microsoft Tweak UI utility has a switch to turn off Scandisk at start up. I have a copy of Tweak if you want it (send me your email address) but I think it is available on Microsoft's web site also - search for Power Toys.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Thanks everybody
by glb613 / April 4, 2004 8:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Thanks everybody

Can't you simply hit the escape key and stop the scan?

Collapse -
Yes but
by walters509 / April 5, 2004 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Thanks everybody

It will continue to try to do the scan every time I boot up if I skip it.

Collapse -
Re:Yes but
by glb613 / April 5, 2004 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes but

I've never heard of anyone having that problem. Sorry, I can't be of any help.

Collapse -
Re:Yes but
by oldtimer / April 5, 2004 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes but

I've suffered similar (and worse) aggravation with Windows ME when it wanted to check the disk on boot up. The final solution for me was XP, but before that my workaround was to cancel the scan on boot up so I could at least get on the computer to do some work, then I'd go to My Computer, right click on the drive, click properties, tools and have it check the disk when it was convenient for me. As long as I did this before the next reboot I wouldn't have to suffer through the annoying message on boot up again.

You might want to try this for now. Good luck.

Collapse -
Re:Thanks everybody
by Cursorcowboy / April 6, 2004 2:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks again
by walters509 / April 6, 2004 7:57 AM PDT

It is extremely gracious of the readers here to take the time to help out computer illiterates like me. Thanks again for all the help. I received many useful suggestions.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.