Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

scan result on Spybot S. & D

by imgrateful_1 / June 4, 2012 1:02 PM PDT

after an absence of having spybot on my computer i installed it today and of course run the scan. There was a couponBar 11 entries adaware. This was the pop up after the scan and then in the message: Couldn't be fixed; reason could be that the associated files are still in use (memory) could be fixed after restart. Well I run scans with my other programs. Sup. AntiSpyware, Ccleaner, which I know that doesn't really affect spyware, but temp files are cleaned after a cc scan. Also I have Mawawarebytes. which is recommended here as another "layer" of cleaning. So what do I do with the result on spybot. I did a search on spybot to see if there are many posted question on this program, but nothing recent. And I did restart my computer and even run the scan again. So here I am with this question. Thank you so much to whomever finds my question and offers any thoughts on what this problem is. imgrateul_1 always.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: scan result on Spybot S. & D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: scan result on Spybot S. & D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Spybot etc.
by pgc3 / June 5, 2012 1:13 AM PDT

The first thing to do is to get rid of the Spybot search and destroy it is just cluttering things up with no benefit, move on from there.

Collapse -
Answer
Removing CouponBar
by Carol~ Moderator / June 5, 2012 1:45 AM PDT

imgrateful_1..

Did you try removing CouponBar while in Safe Mode? Otherwise, Remove and Uninstall CouponBar should help.

IF you had CouponBar installed in the past and have since removed it, it's possible the 11 instances Spybot found were only registry entries. Search the registry and remove them, if you feel the need to have them gone. (Should you decide to delete them from the registry, make a backup first)

On a personal note, I think SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware should be sufficient. I uninstalled Spybot S&D .. "many a year ago". You are correct, in that CCleaner is not an A/S applications, but I do think it's worth keeping.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
thank you to carol
by imgrateful_1 / June 5, 2012 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing CouponBar

in response to my question, I checked for couponbar in my programs list by going to control panel. The only thing I saw there was coupon printer for windows. I don'nt think that would be relative to what you referred to, but since it is now part of my question, is it necessary program even though it says its for windows? I don'nt want to make mistakes in being hasty removing things. Thank you much

Collapse -
You're Welcome. Coupon Printer and CouponBar..
by Carol~ Moderator / June 5, 2012 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you to carol

I'm much like you, in that I don't like to make hasty decisions. Whether it be for myself, or for a member. Notice here, where it indicates Coupon Printer and CouponBar are both from Coupons, Inc. (Coupons.com)

In fairness to you, it also states they "are not considered to be a spyware in the sense that although the coupon printing software or CouponBar toolbar (ActiveX based or Internet Plug-in) will automatically collects information to provides you offers, promotions and advertisings, they do have a clear privacy policy on this information usage. Nonetheless, if you are not taking advantage of coupons saving opportunity, it's wise to opt-out and uninstall the software from your computer to minimize any security risk.."

If you're comfortable with the (personal) information they collect, and are not overly concerned about your privacy, it won't do your computer any harm. Personally, I wouldn't keep it, no matter how much money I saved on coupons. There are other ways of making use of coupons, without having your privacy compromised. But that's just me.

If you're only asking if it's a necessary program, it's not! It wasn't installed on your system when you purchased it. It's the best I know to tell you. The choice is yours to make.

Some further food for thought. The following was written by Ben Edelman, who I (implicitly) trust. "Coupons.com and TRUSTe: Lots of Talk, Too Little Action " And here's a 3 page thread at DSL Reports... "Is installing a Coupon Printer safe?"

Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?