HolidayBuyer's Guide

Peripherals forum

General discussion

Scan Disk Question

by jeffrey p / June 22, 2005 12:25 PM PDT

I have a scan disk cruzer flash drive, and sometimes I can save to it and sometimes not. Sometimes I can move from my hard drive to it and sometimes not.
I generally get the message that the directory of file cannot be created. I've got room on the disk, any idea what's up?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Scan Disk Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Scan Disk Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Directories have naming and depth limits.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2005 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Scan Disk Question

The host machine may be NTFS which allows some name that isn't allowed on the SANDISK drive.

Too bad you didn't share the gritty detail of the names.

It's also possible to overflow the ROOT DIRECTORY of a filesystem. How many files and directories are in the ROOT?

Bob

Collapse -
Huh
by jeffrey p / June 23, 2005 12:11 AM PDT

I must confess my ignorance, I have really no idea what you're talking about or asking. One name for a word document was "discussion questions for films" another was "movie ministry.the incredibles." Do this help?

Collapse -
Yes, those names could be illegal on said drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2005 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh

Try old short 8.3 names such as

discussion questions for films becomes DISCFILM.DOC (if it's a document.) and

"movie ministry.the incredibles." MOVIEINC.DOC

Bob

Collapse -
Scan Disk Question
by sberk / July 25, 2005 9:32 AM PDT

Hi Jeff,

Just wondering if you got an answer to this question. I seem to be having the same problem.

I have data stored on a ScanDisk cruzer mini 256MB, I can see it there and it will not let me transfer it to a file. Ugh!

Collapse -
Scan Disk Question
by jeffrey p / July 26, 2005 6:17 AM PDT

I haven't had that problem, thank God. I moved some things off it, and it seems to be working fine. Maybe it was fuller than it indicated.
I have had that problem w/CD roms, however. Never been able to solve it.

Collapse -
cruzer scan disk error
by fpj10 / September 16, 2005 1:41 AM PDT

I have the same problem. Unfortunatly, Cruzer Scan Disk offers absolutely NO support. Did you ever get an answer to correcting the 'file cannot be created' ?

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2005 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: cruzer scan disk error

Did you read what I did?

Collapse -
Cruzer Scan Disk "cannot create file error"
by fpj10 / September 17, 2005 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

I have no idea what you did.
My flash disk is 1 GB, ~~ Properties show 650 MB used, 350 MB free. In attempting to add ANY file, I recieve the error " the directory or file cannot be created" I have Win XP. Obviously I was able to. initally write on the disk and can read the existing files I created on it. Could I have accidently changed the file sysyem ? File System properties shows my "C" drive NTFS but the "F" Drive (flash disk) is FAT.

Collapse -
Why repeat my answer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2005 11:46 PM PDT

In this discussion I noted how to create the issue. Hope that helps.

Bob

Collapse -
Creating a new folder can solve this problem
by nkafka / November 10, 2005 7:15 PM PST

Proffit mentionned it in passing in one of his other replies, but for some reason there is a limit to the no/size of files you can have in the root folder.

Create a new folder (if necessary delete a file to allow you to do this), then use this folder for you extra files.

Chrs
Nik

Collapse -
Cruzer Scan Disk
by fpj10 / September 16, 2005 1:45 AM PDT

Jeff, Were you ever able to resolve the " cannot create file" issue. I have the same situation, and unfortunately Cruzer Scan Disk offers NO, NONE, completely void, Help. If they have a tech site, I'll be damned if I can access it.

Collapse -
And yup again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2005 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Cruzer Scan Disk

I wonder if it's the same issue I noted.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.