Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

scam/fraud

by hartlanders / April 5, 2005 10:46 PM PDT

I have been getting suspect email from different
sources some have headings with arabic name,and euro
lottery intl.saying you have won $1,000,000.00.sponsored by Bill Gates.i have scam blocker,spybot S&D,norton AV.my question is how do they find my email address?i also had several emails
from your free gifts,earthlink said is fraudulent.
Thanks for any help,Edward

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: scam/fraud
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: scam/fraud
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forum?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: scam/fraud

I'm unsure how this applies to discussions about Windows 95/98. I'd pick the Security forum since it's what they discuss there.

Bob

Collapse -
scam/fraud
by BrianM / April 6, 2005 12:47 AM PDT

There are lots of different ways they could come up with your address but one way is when people use CC instead of BCC. If the said email had a web bug the bug automatically pings THEM when the email is opened and now they know it's a good email address. One way around this in the future is to use a program that lets you see your mail without downloading it, like MailWasher.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,20000,00.asp

Beware of MailWasher that has com at the end of the address, look right under PCWorld for example, this site has been under construction for months but they want you to email them, simply another way to gather addresses.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=MailWasher&btnG=Google+Search

Collapse -
May be Outlook - Mail Client is the culprit.
by Gatta / April 9, 2005 1:17 AM PDT

I am not 100% sure if my analysis is correct.
However, I think the chain of events can be
as follows:

1 You send a msg to uour friemd, who in
turn adds your e-mail address in his
Outlook Address Book.

2 Outlook keeps all the addresses in a sinle
file, with extension: WAB

3 Your friend's computer is invaded by Spyware,
and the Outlook Address Book file is
extracted from your compyter to the Pirate
computer

4 The Pirates of Nigeria, imports the addreses
to his own OutLook Address book and then
send you the junk mail

Brothers from the Odobo Tribe in Nigeria
can shed more lighy on this subjecy

Frankie

(sorry, Frankie did not have a a busy day
today, hence, this giberish)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.