Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

sbc yahoo dsl setup problems

by ralphspoilsport / July 19, 2004 12:10 PM PDT

I'm trying to setup a 2Wire Homeportal 1000wh DSL modem on a friend's computer with Win ME on it and getting nowhere. She has no NIC so I'm using the USB connection on the modem and their software. The filters are on all phones, the antivirus and firewall are disabled, the wiring is connected properly, and the phone lines were checked out.

To avoid any internal phone wiring problems (there were some that got fixed) I plugged my laptop into the phone connection outside the house. It has XP and both a USB and a NIC for the modem's ethernet connection. I couldn?t get a connection using either connection.

Customer service tries to tell me they have run a test and found that the house phone wires have a problem. The installation instructions are easy to follow and the wiring is simple but I can never establish a connection. Customer service is worse than useless and I need some guidance. I suspect a bad modem, bad outside line, or that I?m missing something simple or very secret. It galls me to think they charge $200 to follow a simple setup program and plug in some wires, and I can?t do this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sbc yahoo dsl setup problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sbc yahoo dsl setup problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answer me this. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 19, 2004 4:29 PM PDT

Did you plug in the modem to the outside jack, and your laptop into the modem? You said you plugged your laptop into the outside jack. You have to use the modem.

If you used the modem and still cannot get a connection, you have isolated any house wiring. Call SBC back and pitch a fit. Demand that they send someone out.

Collapse -
Re: Answer me this. . .
by ralphspoilsport / July 20, 2004 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer me this. . .

Sorry I wasn't clear about that. I plugged the modem into the outside jack and my laptop into the modem

BTW, yesterday evening I looked at the installation and troubleshooting online video for the 2Wire Home Portal modem SBC supplied and THEY say DO NOT plug the modem into a filter but directly into the phone connection. The SBC instructions say otherwise. One SBC service person did suggest that I try bypassing the filter to get service going. I connected them both ways several times without success.

Collapse -
I have DSL. Here's the short drill.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2004 11:01 AM PDT

1. The DSL MODEM does NOT get a filter.

2. ALL and I mean ALL other devices must get the filter or the modem can't work.

On my Westall modem, it's easy to see when it "locks on" by the lights. I don't see which modem you have so we can't compare notes.

Remember that when posting in forums, all the little details matter.

Bob

Collapse -
by Coryphaeus / July 20, 2004 3:25 PM PDT

Got'cha. The short answer. If you cannot get it to work at the SNI (Subscriber Network Interface) at the side of the house, the trouble is with the SBC facilities or the DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer) in the central office. Period. Call SBC and demand they come out.

On a side note.

ADSL is an FDM (Frequency Division Multiplexed) signal. Voice frequencies are in the voice band of 200 Hz to 3400 Hz. The DSL signal has a bandwidth of 80 KHz to 1.1 MHz and rides the cable pair with the voice frequencies. It's an analog signal just like voice. The filters are put in front of the phones to keep this signal from being heard on the phone. If you'd like, I have a nutshell description of DSL here http://www.wayne.hardy.com/dsl_course.htm

Good luck,

Telephony facts, analog/digital explained.
See the CNet faces behind the posts.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - - Stephen W. Hawking

Collapse -
by chuckieu / July 22, 2004 4:40 AM PDT

USB connections for modems can be problematic. Why not spend $10-20 for a NIC card.I know that is redundant! I
got one when my MOBO was out(for my backup MOBO) and it worked fine on my SBC/Yahoo DSL. I will say that sometimes you have to install several times with Yahoo
to get it to install right. Good luck. chuck

Collapse -
Re: sbc yahoo dsl setup problems
by jam4201 / July 22, 2004 11:44 AM PDT

We just went through the DSL thing. We have a filter on the modem and every phone. Could make a connection but it didn't stay on very long. After numerous calls to SBC they sent a young man out and all he did was change the IP numbers on the router. They were the same numbers as the modem. They have to be different.
Dell
Win XP
SpeedStream 5100 Modem
D-Link router.

Collapse -
Re: sbc yahoo dsl setup problems
by ralphspoilsport / July 26, 2004 8:16 AM PDT

My filters are devices with two outputs. One is labelled "phone" and the other labelled "DSL/HPNA" and I believe that the filters some are thinking of have only an output for the phone connection. They are 2Wire products as is the modem (also a 2Wire product, model HomePortal 1000HW as I mentioned previously). I have no router either BTW.

I suspect my friends will need to get a NIC but I can't even get this to work with my laptop's card (MN120). My laptop does work with my network at home, so I expect it to work at my friend's house too.

Collapse -
dsl issue
by mikec_29 / July 19, 2005 1:21 AM PDT

may need a tech on site ,may need to do 2 things ,verify dsl at premise at phone box on house/apt,#2 may need to set up 2wire thru ent port on 2wire not thru usb connection,refer to www.2wire.com intial set up

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you notice the date on the original post?
by Coryphaeus / July 19, 2005 7:08 AM PDT
In reply to: dsl issue
Collapse -
i had the same problem.
by pablonava / July 21, 2005 11:53 AM PDT

i had the same problem man. i went to my aunts place to try and fix it. they went 7 months without internet and were paying for it. i checked everything out. two technicians came out. first it was my phone cord i was using, then it was my cat-5 cable. after about week. i called again and the next technian went up to the pole and changed the wireing which worked. their connection should be 1.5MB but its 2.3MB man. i also helped them out wiht the one at their business, but that one was their service didnt work their yet.

Collapse -
sbc yahoo dsl setup problems
by madhu4125 / August 23, 2005 12:58 AM PDT

send me your dsl telephone no

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) (617) 742-5533.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2005 1:24 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.