Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SBC/Yahoo DSL seems to swap out a lot.

by bill327 / July 11, 2005 12:32 AM PDT

I have an HP pavilion with XP and a 9 year old pentium II machine with ME running SBC/Yahoo DSL internet. It is fast enough when It is actually communicating. The problem is, after I request a URL or enter a form there are often long periods (up to 45 sec.) where the modem just sits there doing nothing. Is this just SBC swapping me out or am I doing something wrong? Does any other SBC user have the same experience? Does Cable have the same problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SBC/Yahoo DSL seems to swap out a lot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SBC/Yahoo DSL seems to swap out a lot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might not be DSL, might be
by thomasmarcgodskid / July 14, 2005 10:01 AM PDT

Hey, I'm not a tech expert, but I had a similar problem with my HP with a dial up connection. If I clicked links, it would go to the webpage immediately, but if I typed a URL into the address line and pressed return, there would be a minute or longer delay before it would go to the website. I don't have time to explain my process of trying to fix this - what I can tell you is it had something to do with the HP Computer running XP and conflicts with the HP Imaging software, NOT the dial up service or the browser (Explorer). Anyway, that's a possibility... just 'cuz the description of your problem sounds very familiar to me. Even with dial-up, you should be able to get to a page withing 1-10 seconds so with DSL it should be way faster than what you're getting!

Collapse -
Nope
by Splicer / July 14, 2005 12:26 PM PDT

I barely signed up with SBC YAhoo DSL services at 15 bucks a month :P.I have AMD 64 processor on nForce4 mobo. No problems here so yeah it might be something with your programs.. Happy Surfing.

Collapse -
possible pc issue
by mikec_29 / July 19, 2005 1:25 AM PDT

may need to check dsl speed and verify you have no firewall turn on ,may need delay time on site look up

Collapse -
Just a couple ideas.
by Fowledan / July 19, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

I would do two things. First Run a spyware and adware scan on your computer. This will probably take care of the problem. The next idea I have is to put a router (the cheapest one after rebate will do) between your computer and the modem. This if set up correctly will log you into your DSL account automatically so if SBC is loging you out for some reason that will not happen.

Just a couple of ideas. Hope they help.

Collapse -
sort of
by shariboone / July 19, 2005 3:18 AM PDT

I have SBC DSL, I use it with a wireless connection on my Dell laptop that is just a couple of years old. I thought that my problem maybe because I am wireless. I can go to any page but after a few minutes my connection monitor turns grey, I lose the signal. Usually I have to unplug the modem and start over, very aggravating! I know that this is not much help, but just wanted to let you know that there is a SBC DSL custmer with similar problems. I to am looking for an answer:)

Collapse -
losing connection/dsl
by mikec_29 / July 19, 2005 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: sort of

maybe from distance from your router ,your house make up has alot to do with coneection/walls/wireless phones/microwave.....

Collapse -
SBC/DSL
by a1hdbiker / July 19, 2005 9:07 AM PDT

I had a simular experience. The old machine isn't fast enough to input the info so you get a damming or back logging effect.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.