Computer Help forum

General discussion

sb search bar tool

by Sulochana / September 25, 2004 9:32 PM PDT

presently i am having a problem with sb search tool bar ,i am unable to delete it as the tool bar occupies the homepage ,please help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sb search bar tool
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sb search bar tool
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: sb search bar tool
by Cursorcowboy / September 25, 2004 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: sb search bar tool
Collapse -
It's called spyware
by Yew / September 25, 2004 10:20 PM PDT

And it's probably the #2 reason why you shouldn't be using Internet Explorer (#1 being security issues).

Poke around a bit, and you'll find Bob's list of spyware removal tools. Which takes care of cleaning up the mess you've already got. The next step is to prevent the mess from ever happening again, and to do that you need to use an alternative browser such as Mozilla/Firefox or Opera. You keep IE around for those very few rare sites that won't work with anything else, and Windows Update. Everything else, you use one of the other browsers for. A bigger step in the same direction would be to get rid of any email client that has "Outlook" in the name, for the same reasons as not using IE, only you NEVER use that again.

Should you fail to heed this advice, you are putting yourself at greatly elevated risk of programs hijacking your browser again, and that's the best case scenario. Worst case scenario, is someone exploiting a security hole in IE, using your computer to do something illegal, and leaving you holding the bag. Most likely scenario is that spyware will continue to get onto your system and you'll have to keep removing it constantly. And not all spyware is as obvious as search bars. Some just sit silently, watching what you do, and sending back data about your habits to sleazy companies. Some will even steal credit card numbers, bank account numbers, and passwords by capturing your keystrokes. If you want to take that risk, keep using IE. Otherwise, download the three alternatives I mentioned, try them each out for a few days, and use the one you like best.

Collapse -
Re: It's called spyware
by Mark5019 / September 26, 2004 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: It's called spyware

dont you ever get tired of ranting just a short note will sufice and i use ie i dont have any probs allso use ff and allso moz ok enough rants lets just help people.

Collapse -
Re: It's called spyware
by Yew / September 26, 2004 3:03 AM PDT

Ever hear the saying, "Treat the disease, not the symptoms"? That's the fundamental difference between us. You just want to treat the symptoms, I'm looking to cure the disease.

So, until you can show me a method as good at curing the disease as not using IE, then I will say with the utmost affection deserved: "Piss off!"

You should also know, that statistically speaking, a sample size of one is laughable. You don't have any problems, but explain to me about the dozens of other people who show up here every day with almost identical problems? Why is it when I worked as a system's analyst for a state University, did I see system after system with 100+ items of spyware on them? I literally saw hundreds of systems with spyware levels in the tripple digits, and that's just at a University of a little less than 30,000 people. I've got literally legions of people to support my statistics, where's yours? We've got you, and who else? Why don't you name 50 off the top of your head right now? I thought so.

So, until such time you can show IE to be a major source of spyware infestation to be false, I say to you sir, "Piss off!" With all due respect and affection.

Collapse -
Keep it up, Yew.
by chuckieu / September 26, 2004 3:43 AM PDT

The short answer is, because oviously many users still need the information. If you hadn't posted, someone else would have said the same thing. Even Microsoft's computers have been corrupted. Go Figure. I would be
tempted to scan it as a drop-in to save typing though.
chuck

Collapse -
Fairlady, Have You Tried ???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 26, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

....In addition to the other good advice given, have you tried installing the free spyware removal tools from the links below. With the first two, download, install, then update them from within their user interface, then run them. Delete all spyware that they find.:

Ad-Aware

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?