Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Says it well enough...

that maybe, just maybe, the claims from the left of "no media bias" will be quieted for a little while (could be longer but we must take into account their attention span).

Alleged atrocities
Staining the military evidently acceptable

The letter to the editor published July 12 from Daniel P. Draheim wonders where the outrage is over the accusation of rapes in Iraq.

I want to assure Draheim that when things like this occur no one is more outraged than the average soldier here on the ground. Draheim is correct in asserting that such events make the job of soldiers here infinitely more difficult. And yet Draheim falls victim to the same mistake as many on the political left do, as do so many in the mainstream media so eager to minimize our efforts: He lumps Haditha into the mix of atrocities committed by U.S. soldiers and yet no one has been tried and convicted over the alleged act.

Sad are the times we live in when the press can try and convict the military for an alleged act and hang it around their neck before the investigation is even completed. Staining the military, the overall effort in Iraq and the honor of military service is evidently acceptable in the interest of a political gain.

The people here on the ground largely understand why we are here. They understand after three elections and countless lives lost ? both Iraqi and allied ? whose side we're on. Thanks to media that print and broadcast only the bad news of Iraq, it's probably easy to assume that's all there is. I came here to see it for myself and there is a huge disconnect between what the news services see fit to print and what's really happening on the ground.

If history is left only to the U.S. media lackeys to judge, then yes, we'll likely be painted as immoral monsters. But let me assure you, throughout my travels in the Middle East, that's not the view at large. Of course, much rests in how Iraq turns out in the long run, but the vast majority of military men and women here uphold their end with honor and integrity.

? John Gamash, Camp Buehring (Udairi AAF), Kuwait

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/opinion/2003131506_monlets17.html

Really hard to deny that he is right (except for those few who already think all things military are bad and that the media "only reports the news").

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Says it well enough...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Says it well enough...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) well look atmurtha he has them tried and hung

In reply to: Says it well enough...

Collapse -
No, No one has been tried and convicted -- YET.

But as you well know, Ed, reliable Pentagon sources speaking to the media "on background" have left no doubt as to the general truth of the charges; the delay is largely trying to make sure the JAG folks know precisely who was (and who wasn't) involved before bringing all the charges (I believe some have in fact now been brought). This letter is holding onto the (sadly forlorn) hope that the reports of the atrocity are inaccurate, and that's clearly not the case.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
thats right dk guilty b4 trial

In reply to: No, No one has been tried and convicted -- YET.

why waste all the time we should hang them 1st and then try case:(

Collapse -
No, the letter...

is about the media convicting soldiers as soon as they hear about an investigation.

The media doesn't even bother with "alleged" in most instances Dave.

Several of the "guilty soldiers" tried and convicted in the media long before the investigations were even complete (let alone any trial) have been found innocent of the accusations although a few have been found guilty of lesser infractions.

Pause to reflect on the media conviction of the soldier who shot a wounded terrorist on camera -- the press immediately tried to crucify him but the investigation found him innocent of any criminal intent or activity.

Try understanding what you read BEFORE letting your knee jerk you to the keyboard.

Collapse -
Chuckle

from the same crowd that had ROVE being frogwalked on day one

Collapse -
Nice letter.

I can't think of a war in my lifetime (WWII, Korea, Vietnam) during which there were not some incidents of a few of those in battle "lost it". Thus I don't know why we should be shocked. All of the intense training they receive to prepare them for the realities of fighting cannot guarantee that they won't. All of the psychological studies they have been given are not guarantees that they won't. This is exacerbated when those out to kill you look just like the people who are not. We might think we know how we would react under extreme stress, but we don't know for sure until we face it.

With the increase in instant media coverage compared to WWII, we hear of those who "lost it". The pity lies in that it casts undeserved suspicion on those who do not, which are in the vast majority., as those that do are a very small percentage.

The military sustem of justice might appear to be slow. However, compared to the civilan system, it is not. In the military system the prosecution, defense, and jury are of their peers, thus, IMO, can even the playing field more than in civilian trials.

In the alledged rape case, the reports I heard included that another soldier reported the alledged incident ( I think to a chalpain). IMO, this must have been difficult for him, considering the comradrie among the troops. But it was a testament to the standards of our military personnel.

Though I know that stories are "spun" due to the owners, I have not heard/seen delight or glee expressed by "the mainstream media" (whatever that is).

I hate seeing such tragic events being used as political footballs, and with such venom as is so often expressed here. I have no doubts that "those on the left" have also died in Iraq and Afghanistan. We say they are there in our interests, to defend our freedom, but we forget that includes voicing our opinions.

I agree with the author as apllies to our troops. It would have been stronger to me had it not been for the "but we must take into account their attention span."

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Yes it was a good letter but...

In reply to: Nice letter.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!