Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Say Good Night Sean?

by JP Bill / April 17, 2010 2:07 PM PDT
Will Rupert Murdoch fire Sean Hannity over Tea Party fundraiser?

So Sean Hannity was charging admission to his show at a Tea Party rally at the University of Cincinnati it now transpires.

He intended to give the money to the Tea Party,essentially making his show and the Fox Network a fundraising arm of the Tea Party.

That may well be a firing offence especially when Rupert Murdoch had just made it clear that Fox did not support the Tea Party.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Say Good Night Sean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Say Good Night Sean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) At least it's not about fake papers like Rathergate.
by C1ay / April 17, 2010 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Say Good Night Sean?
Collapse -
always have to compare and contrast, do we?
by grimgraphix / April 18, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

At least Sean's not a serial killer... at least he doesn't support kicking puppies... at least he...

Collapse -
Does it get under your skin....
by C1ay / April 18, 2010 1:26 AM PDT

that he's not fabricating fake evidence to make Obama look bad? That he's trying to support the Tea Party?

Collapse -
Trying to support the Tea Party...
by EdHannigan / April 18, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

Not a sin in itself, but involving his show is not good journalistic ethics. Not that anyone seems ot practice ethically these days, certainly not CBS, NBC or ABC. However...

He intended to give the money to the Tea Party,essentially making his show and the Fox Network a fundraising arm of the Tea Party.

seems to be a bit of a stretch...

Collapse -
Not much of a stretch at all
by Bill Osler / April 18, 2010 3:35 AM PDT

His plan would CLEARLY have made him a fundraiser for the Tea Party group. It would have made Fox News a fundraiser, at least indirectly, since the network provides the infrastructure for Hannity's broadcast.

I don't watch TV news programs or the talking heads who pose as 'analysts' and 'commentators' so I don't have any opinion about the general state of broadcast journalistic ethics but I cannot imagine how a legitimate news organization could fail to fire him for this.

Collapse -
Fox Network a fundraising arm of the Tea Party?
by EdHannigan / April 18, 2010 3:39 AM PDT

I don't think so. Come on!

Collapse -
What was the mantra
by Bill Osler / April 18, 2010 4:12 AM PDT

from that other conspiracy once upon a time?

Follow the money. Look at who would have benefited and how they were getting the money.

Calling Hannity a fundraiser in this case is NOT a stretch. Including Fox News as a co-fundraiser is not much of a stretch at all. The ONLY question in my mind is whether it was Hannity that was turning into a useful idiot for the the Tea Party folks or whether it was Hannity AND also Fox. It is possible that, as in IranScam we will never be entirely sure how high the bad judgment went but that depends a lot on how loyal Fox's employees are.

FWIW: IMCO Reagan knew about Iran-Contra. That's one reason I think the conservative adulation for Reagan is badly misplaced but that's off topic. I suspect Fox News knew in this case. Hannity should be fired, but I suspect that he was not the only person foolish enough to think this sort of stunt could be passed off as 'journalism'. It's hard to imagine that he was stupid enough to think he could charge for admission while broadcasting a Fox show without getting clearance from the higher ups, and it is equally hard to imagine that the Fox hierarchy would be completely unaware of what he planned to do with the money. I can guarantee that MOST companies want to know what employees do with the money they earn while working on company time using company resources - most employers want to KEEP the money their employees earn on company time. So, if Fox was going to let Hannity run a fundraiser on the side it is not hard to see that as a proxy fundraiser for Fox News. And yes, 'idiot' is the right word in this case. And no, I don't think it's just Fox news or just conservatives, though this is easily the most egregious recent example.

Collapse -
The UNAUTHORIZED actions on one employee...
by EdHannigan / April 18, 2010 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: What was the mantra

transforms the network into a "fundraising arm"? ABC affiliates may run the Jerry Lewis marathon every year. Does that make the ABC network a fundraising arm of the MDA? I'm certain ABC executives don't think of their network that way.

Calling Hannity a fundraiser in this case is NOT a stretch True, but calling the Fox network a fundraising arm of the Tea Party movement IS. It makes Hannity an unauthorized fundraiser, that's all.

So, are you alleging a conspiracy? Did they authorize it then back out? Sorry, not buying it.

Collapse -
This may be a more accurate account...
by EdHannigan / April 18, 2010 6:02 AM PDT
After a debacle by the Fox News broadcaster, the Tea Party was forced to refund Sean Hannity tickets they had sold for his scheduled appearance last week.

Hannity was a no-show for the event because angry bosses at the network reportedly demanded that he cancel his appearance there. So what was the problem after all?

To make a long story short, the Cincinnati Tea Party scheduled a ?tax day? rally on Thursday, April 15th. Talk show host Sean Hannity was invited to attend the event. He originally agreed to attend a book signing to promote his latest book and to do his television program at the rally. He was even there that evening and about to start the show.

Conducting television programs at news events is clearly nothing new. Network news broadcasts and opinion programs are regularly done from political party conventions, war zones, and sites of natural disasters.

The problem is that the Cincinnati Tea Party turned the Hannity appearance into a fundraising event by charging admission. In so doing they would have transformed Hannity?s Fox News program into a fundraising effort for the group rather than a vehicle for legitimate opinion journalism.

Hannity knew full well what was happening and when his bosses found out they were reportedly furious at his judgment. They demanded that he cancel the appearance and return immediately to the studio so his show was done as usual from the studio on Thursday. Good for them and bad for Sean Hannity.
Collapse -
I'm not suprised...
by J. Vega / April 18, 2010 6:17 AM PDT

I'm not surprised at the tone of Niall O'Dowd's article. He was a founder of the Irish Americans for Clinton campaign.

Collapse -
Quite a biased site..
by EdHannigan / April 18, 2010 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not suprised...

judging by the other articles on it.

Collapse -
Did you catch...
by J. Vega / April 18, 2010 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Quite a biased site..

Did you look at the About Us portion of IrishCentral and see:
"The media world has quickly taken notice. IrishCentral's scoops and its day-to-day coverage can now be regularly found on Google News, Yahoo! News, ABCNews.com, The New York Times, The Huffington Post and many other top-tier media outlets."
Did you catch their classification of The Huffigton Post as a "top-tier media outlet"?

Collapse -
RE: biased site..
by JP Bill / April 18, 2010 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Quite a biased site..

and that disqualifies them?....I have the permalink bookmarked to your post.

Expect to see it soon.

Collapse -
Maybe ...
by Bill Osler / April 18, 2010 10:22 AM PDT

If Fox was demonstrably not aware of what was going on, then the characterization was inaccurate. But that is a big 'if'. I find it hard to believe that somebody so high in the Fox hierarchy would do something so OBVIOUSLY STUPID without first checking with his boss. OTOH I have no doubt at all that a group of people could make such a stupid decision, especially if they did not have a complete understanding of what they were agreeing to. Groupthink is an amazing process.

Personally I suspect that Hannity DID check with the network and that what he is doing now is giving them plausible deniability, but I admit that is speculation on my part.

In answer to your question: Yes, IMO, ABC does end up acting as a fundraiser for MDA, though I don't know how their executives look at the arrangement. I don't think that is a major issue connected to journalistic integrity since the effort is done independently of the news production process and the MDA is a mostly non-political charity. The situation is significantly different in this case, and Fox HAS to be especially sensitive to the subject because of the allegations that their coverage has been far less than 'fair and balanced'.

Collapse -
I think the local Tea Party orgnization...
by EdHannigan / April 18, 2010 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe ...

like most of their stuff, is strictly amateur. This whole think came from their side, and Hannity's people (stupidly, I agree) just went along with it.

Maybe they needed professional organizers. Barack would come in handy in a situation like this. He'll be looking for a job soon.

Collapse -
(NT) what an asinine question, c1ay, I expected better from you
by grimgraphix / April 18, 2010 9:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) I felt the same of yours!
by C1ay / April 18, 2010 3:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
Your original post boils down to this...
by grimgraphix / April 18, 2010 11:07 PM PDT

"Sean Hannity... at least he isn't Dan Rather"

Does that get under my skin? Yeah, it does, but not because I'm some Dan Rather fan.

Collapse -
No it doesn't
by C1ay / April 19, 2010 8:33 AM PDT

Sean didn't do anything but get invited to speak at a Tea Party gathering at JP relates that as, "So Sean Hannity was charging admission to his show at a Tea Party rally at the University of Cincinnati it now transpires." which didn't really happen at all. It's a complete fabrication that Sean Hannity was charging admission to that function but at least he wasn't fabricating fake news to report on like rather was when the left wanted to scream and holler that Rather hadn't done anything wrong. If I feel like pointing out the changing standards I will and if bothers you, oh well.

Collapse -
Comparing standards is one thing...
by grimgraphix / April 20, 2010 1:36 PM PDT
In reply to: No it doesn't

... but your original statement made no mention of the standards by which these men are being judged. All you said was "At least it's not about fake papers like Rathergate. "

Why should Hannity's actions even be compared to Rather's ? Hannity makes no claim to being a reporter while Dan Rather as a professional journalist had the higher standards to live up to, and by that criteria, his actions are that much more egregious... but then again, my original statement made no effort to defend Rather, in fact I didn't even mention Rather. Actually, this minor tempest of Hannity's has nothing to do with journalistic ethics (as did Rather-Gate), but instead concerns workplace insubordination. Hannity decided to use his show to promote someone else's' cause. This certainly goes against Rupert Murdoch's established policy of being "fair and balanced".
Wink

Comparing Hannity to Rather is nothing other than misdirection designed to evoke and exploit an emotional reaction and obscure attention and criticism of Hannity. A tactic that Hannity himself, has employed on his own show, for many years. The actions of Hannity and Rather are in no way similar and your comparison of the two is a fallacy.

That is my opinion and if it bothers you...

Collapse -
I am not familiar with the fellow
by Angeline Booher / April 18, 2010 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Say Good Night Sean?

...... because I don't watch Fox news.

For that reason, I do not know how much or what coverage they give to the T-P or the well known people who speak at their rallies.

Angeline.

Collapse -
If you don't watch FOX,
by Mike_Hanks / April 19, 2010 7:46 AM PDT

How do you get any "other" information?

Collapse -
I don't watch Fox...
by C1ay / April 19, 2010 8:34 AM PDT

or ABC, NBC, CNN, CBS or any of the rest. My TV hasn't even been turned on in over a month but I manage to get information Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?