Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Saw a news report (?ABC) about the children of Viet Nam

by Ziks511 / April 2, 2006 3:17 PM PDT

vets suffering "vicarious" post traumatic stress disorder. There's a new book Falling Through the Earth out by a woman, Danielle Trusoni, who when her parents split up stayed with her father, talked extensively about Viet Nam and his experiences there as she grew up and interviewed him for the book she put together. He died of throat cancer the day the book was released ?August of last year. Looks like a good book, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805077324/102-6748578-2352134?v=glance&n=283155

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Saw a news report (?ABC) about the children of Viet Nam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Saw a news report (?ABC) about the children of Viet Nam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting, regarding Trussoni and her book
by MarciaB / April 3, 2006 1:49 AM PDT
http://www.montrealmirror.com/2006/031606/books.html

It doesn't appear the she, herself, suffered PTSD. She had a horrible time growing up in the home of a parent that was "damaged," and not necessarily because of being a Vietnam war Veteran, although that likely made things worse (for him and for her).

It seems as if her talent as a writer are recognized fully. I wish for her much success, and hope that her life will be fulfilled through other means than the exploration of her father's failings.

Collapse -
Thanks, Marcia. That's a slant I hadn't come across and
by Ziks511 / April 4, 2006 9:44 AM PDT

does explain some things. For some reason, when the family split up all the kids went with Mom except for Danielle who stayed with Dad. There must have been something keeping her there, though it might have been something dark like identifying with her tormenter, or maybe she was the only one he could relate to for some reason. To judge a man as wanting because he took on the toughest assignment in the Army seems a little too much to me. I'm not sure if you or very many people are aware of this piece of anecdotal information, but an awful lot of pilots, especially fighter pilots were killed after the war driving too fast. Like a lot of people they'd become adrenaline junkies, except there was no diagnosis for it then.

My Dad flew twin engined bombers in WW2, his preferred height was zero feet, not for the rush but because it was safer by the time Jerry spotted you, even with a 20mm cannon, you were gone. But he lost 2 good pilot friends after the war in car accidents at extreme speeds.

On the other hand we had a friend who was a B17 jock who founded a flying service which is now in its Third generation. I have never met a calmer more relaxed, and more methodically careful man in my life. He was a pleasure to be around because his calmness spread like ripples in water until it wasn't possible to be up-tight in his presence.

I remember my first flights into fishing locations with ex military pilots as fairly hairy experiences, 60 degree banks so that when you looked out the side windows the ground was straight below you. Bud wasn't like that. He liked things pleasant, banked turns were comfortable and secure. If you asked for a close look at something he could crank it around so you could see things clearly a thousand feet below, but otherwise it was like being driven by an expensive chauffeur. Wish I was still in touch with the family, since Bud's pretty certain to be gone by now.

Your expansion of my horizons much appreciated Marcia.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.