General discussion

saving Word doc requires no spaces. A virus?

Hi Everyone,

I was running Win 98SE on a P3 box. I had installed MS Office 98 on it. I used MS Word every day, and saved all my documents to a CDRW disc.

The problem started when one day, I was not able to save a document I'd just written. It wouldn't save, and then I just closed it and lost it. It said "invalid file name." The problem was intermittent. Eventually, I figured out that if the file name had no spaces, I could save it. The problem was still intermittent.

So, every once in a while, MS Word would reject my attempt to save the document and I'd have to rename it some abbreviated name without spaces in it. I could still exceed 8 characters.

This problem happened more and more frequently. Finally, it was constant. At that point, I erased the hard drive and went about reinstalling everything.

During the attempts at reinstallation, I decided to just go buy a new computer for $400 at Circuit City. I bought an AMD Sempron 2GHz running Win XP. It came with a CDRW drive installed.

When I dropped the CDRW disc into the new computer, it worked fine at first. I could open everything on there and use it just as one would expect. It wasn't until later that I realized that ALL of the documents I saved with the "no spaces allowed name" on that CDRW were not there. I just didn't see them on the disc when using the XP computer.

I put the CDRW disc into a friend's computer running Win ME, and I could see the "no spaces allowed MS Word documents." I put it back in my new XP computer, and they aren't there. Also, a few of the folders that I created that hold nothing but the "missing docs" are not visible either.

Is this a virus? My anti-virus software hasn't said anything about the CDRW.

How do I get the docs onto my new XP hard drive?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Sincerely,

Steve

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: saving Word doc requires no spaces. A virus?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: saving Word doc requires no spaces. A virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
RE: onto my new XP hard drive?

May be caused by a virus or other pest. Have you run anit-virus programs and such?

Are you still using MS Office 98 on the new computer? If not, that might be the problem (could be two different programs or virsions that are not compatable). If so, perhaps you could install both programs on the new machine so you can properly access both or even transfer,copy, or save everything to one particular program.

- Collapse -
Figured a way

Reconnected the D: drive as the C: drive then openned OE found all my old emails. One at a time I was able to "Save As" from the File menu to a folder I created in My Documents. Then put the drives back the way I had them and was able to open the emails from the folder I created in my D: My Documents.

If I had thought about it I guess I could have reconnected both hard drives in reverse and "Saved AS" the emails the C: but it deosn't seem to be a problem.
Posted by: caktus Posted on: 02/17/2005

CNET Forums

Forum Info