Mac OS forum

General discussion

Saving to hard drive issues

Good afternoon, I have a problem which seems to be complex so please bare with me as I try to explain what is happening and what I have tried.

I am using a program called Lightwright which has a user license code file located in user:Library:Preferences:Lightwright folder. Every time I try to enter the registration information and click "save" I get a dialog box that says that I "cannot save this to my hard drive you may not have permission" once saved, the program is to have access to this file to verify the user license.

I have checked all the permissions and am logged in as the admin user account. I have run several diagnostics including applejack and propedit to check on the permission settings. I have set up a new user with admin access and the same thing happens. If I transfer the regi file from a working laptop with the same program, I get an error code saying the files cannot be accessed. Oddly enough, I can start up in safe mode and can save the license information and run the program as it is supposed to. But when I start back up in regular mode the problem persists.

This is the only program with this problem. I have been in a dialog discussion with the author and we are at a road block as to what the problem might be.

I would appreciate any and all guidance as to what might be the issue.

MAC PRO tower 2x3ghz with 16GB ram; OSX 10.6.6

Glen Goodwin
goodwinltg at mac dot com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Saving to hard drive issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Saving to hard drive issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open the Preferences folder

In reply to: Saving to hard drive issues

and right click, Control + Click, on the Lightwright folder.
Choose Get Info

In the resulting display, check that you have the necessary permissions or that the folder is not locked for some reason.

P

Collapse -
Open the Preferences folder

In reply to: Open the Preferences folder

Yes did that already, shows (me), wheel and everybody with rw status. The same goes for the regi file the program is trying to access to confirm the registration. User:preferences folder is also set to rw.

Next ??

Thanks, Glen

Collapse -
(NT) Next would be to contact the Lightwright Tech Support

In reply to: Open the Preferences folder

Collapse -
LW tech Support

In reply to: Next would be to contact the Lightwright Tech Support

I have been in communication with the software author and have gone through a series of checks over the past 2 weeks, so that is what lead me to this forum. I am perplexed as to what is holding the folder/file hostage. I seem to be the only one with this issue.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Glen

Collapse -
And yet every other program you have

In reply to: LW tech Support

is able to write to this drive.

Don't know what to tell you at this point

P

Collapse -
Lightwright issues

In reply to: And yet every other program you have

Yes, I do not have any other issues with writing to that disk. Oddly, the program writes a preference file to the folder but cannot seem to write or read the license file. If I make changes in the preferences while running the program in demo mode, the changes are saved, but the license code just can't be saved or read.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Glen

Collapse -
(NT) Let us know how you get on

In reply to: Lightwright issues

Collapse -
Let us know how you get on

In reply to: Let us know how you get on

Not sure what you are asking?

Glen

Collapse -
Presumably you are going to continue

In reply to: Let us know how you get on

in your efforts to make this piece of software work correctly.

If you ever do, let us know what the fix was

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!