Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Saving pages from Web, forums etc.

by evennewerbie / October 19, 2006 9:54 PM PDT

Although I have used PCs for maybe 10 years I think I am always going to be a newbie, at least until they design them properly.
All the computing for dummies, for older generation etc. books mainly tell me what I already know plus about one useful new fact per book, so getting much farther would be time-consuming and expensive.
My question is elementary for something that is often needed, it is surprising the books do not have a page about it.
You use the web, you find an interesting thing, you would like to save it.
I am particularly interested in certain forums I participate in but not only those.

I don?t want to save just a link to a document which may change or be suppressed, I want to keep the document as it is now. I may want to keep its essential parts, text and pics, or I may want to keep it in its exact appearance as it appears now.

I think I?ve tried all of these:
You copy and paste a document and save it in Word. You may loose stuff in the graphics etc., if I remember this does not always work very well. Tedious and slow too.
On some Forums, I have seen a Printer-friendly version. Do same. Lose some stuff before you start, but maybe keep essentially what you want ? but one other problem see below.

First when I wanted to save a document as it is I clicked Save As. That gives me the options Save as complete web page (*.htm;*html) (start get a bit out of depth). When I look at what I?ve saved it is just a lot of fragments, icons etc. Wonder what use that is if any.

There is also an option Web page, only HTML (*htm;*html) (!!??)

There is an option text only, but for what I need I?d expect that to lose info and be a mess

So I plucked up courage to use Web archive, unique file (*mht). Sounds right That seems to save me a page that looks like the original, am I doing it OK when that?s what I want? I?ve done it with a printer friendly version of same document too.

I have one problem with it. It saves you only a page. *if you click on another page it etlls you not possible offline. Of course ?a page? might mean various things for different kinds of documents. I am for instance on a forum where I want to save all the contributions in a thread. There are some threads that are e.g. 70 pages long I?d like to save that whole thread. I don?t want to have to do that one page at a time. Example take any thread at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/index.html how to save whole thread, printer friendly or not? And the whole or what is on some other site or subsite organised differently (not in threads) without doing it a document or one page at a time?

Repeat: I want to save stuff as it is now, not a connection to whatever it may become in the future.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Saving pages from Web, forums etc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Saving pages from Web, forums etc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In Some Cases, It's Near Impossible..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 20, 2006 2:13 PM PDT

For saving discussion with 70 plus sub-links, such as those on this forum, you can only save the initial page by using the "Save As", then choose "htm, html". It works for one page but because the link is not "followed" unless you click on it, the "save" process doesn't work..

I have heard about third party software that can do something similar to what you ask but unfortunately, I can't remember the name. You might try doing a search of the forums.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Glad to hear
by evennewerbie / October 21, 2006 11:01 AM PDT

Thank you.
I'm glad to hear something I can't do, experts and maybe everyone can't either.
Though it is an obvious user requirement.
I would be glad to know of that software if you remember it.
You would think it could be sold to these forum sites, which seem to all use the same software and layout (well CNET is different to all other forums I've been to).

For me, as explained, only the Save As web archive worked. The first option always gave me a box full of icons and fragments. What are actually these different options supposed to do, what is the purpose of each?

Collapse -
When Saving As htm, html...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2006 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Glad to hear

..two things will occur and it's exactly as you typically create an html web page.. First, a icon is created with an .htm or .html file extension. The icon is generally a link to your default browser. If Internet Explorer is your default browser, the icon will have a blue "e" on it. The icon is basically a text file which use the coding for the webpage and any standard text that might be on the webpage you've saved. (Changing the file extension to a .txt extension will allow you to read the actual coding inside the file.) Second, a folder will be created with all the other items from the saved page such as pictures, etc. Double clicking on the .htm/.html icon will "call" the pictures from the folder and create the saved webpage.

If you create a new/separate folder on your desktop and save your webpage into that new folder, you should see both of those separate items..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!