Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

saving one document in multiple locations simultaneously

by jason_howard / February 15, 2008 9:18 PM PST

Is it possible to save one document in multiple locations simultaneously
using "Word"?

Jason

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: saving one document in multiple locations simultaneously
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: saving one document in multiple locations simultaneously
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: saving word files
by Kees Bakker / February 15, 2008 11:12 PM PST

Not simultaneously. But of course you can record or write a macro that will do multiple saves with one command.

Kees

Collapse -
by damo124 / April 22, 2008 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: saving word files

by Kees Bakker - 2/16/08 7:12 AM
In reply to: saving one document in multiple locations simultaneously by jason_howard

"Not simultaneously. But of course you can record or write a macro that will do multiple saves with one command"

Kees

Why? How do I write this macro?

Collapse -
Re: how to write a macro in Word
by Kees Bakker / April 22, 2008 4:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: saving word files

The start is easy: Tools>Macro>Visual Basic Editor.
Then inside that editor choose where you want to have the macro (in normal.dot or in the current document) and from the menu do Insert>Module.
Then start typing until it's finished. It really helps to know the programming language VBA.

You might like to speed up the process by recording a macro to save the file to one location, then edit it (from Tools>Macro again) to have save it to multiple locations by copying and changing the relevant part of the code.

Kees

Collapse -
...but...
by Papa Echo / February 16, 2008 3:56 PM PST

... if you like, share why you need to "save simultaneously". There may be other ways to achieve what you want without necessarily "saving".

Collapse -
reasoning
by jason_howard / February 16, 2008 6:24 PM PST

The thing is I want to save Word documents to my hard drive and at the same time to a memory stick, it is very tedious doing it manually.

Jason

Collapse -
You call...
by Papa Echo / February 16, 2008 7:55 PM PST
In reply to: reasoning

... 3 or 4 more mouse clicks tedious ? Well, maybe you do not have to save manually - a backup program can save files from a folder at your HD to a folder on an external drive...(backup what from where to where.)

What I often do is to save twice. It is not tedious (takes a long time; slow; dull...)at all. The main aim is to have a second copy.

Collapse -
need YOUR help!: How to save data, wrd docs on a DVD,drive D
by jessie.o / February 27, 2008 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: You call...

Hi, As a newb I've been surfing 2hrs. for an answer: on my Dell inspiron 6000 laptop i have a drive D. I'm all out of cds'. Can I (and 'how to') save word docs. onto a DVD-RW? Have 512.00 MB physical capacity memory and only 56 MB available physical memory !!! I have backups of backups and don't know how I got them (I save every change as a save as). I must free up some space. Want to use Drive D to store word docs. of various projects and music files etc... Can you please advise? Must I download a 'Donation' type program?

Collapse -
Re: burning to DVD.
by Kees Bakker / February 27, 2008 4:18 PM PST

You can't save on DVD.

Something wrong with your data. 512 MB and 56 MB refer to your RAM. But you store documents on your hard disk, and you don't say anything about that, like size and how much free space on that. In My Computer, right click on the c:-drive and you'll see both the numbers and a pie chart. Something like 40 Gb total, 30 Gb occupied and 10 Gb free. That's what matters for storing data.

The things to do:
1. Manually delete files you don't need any more. That's something only you can do.
2. Run the disc cleanup wizard (from the same screen I referred to above)
3. Download free ccleaner for a still better cleanup.

Also see then "How to clean ..." post by Grif Thomas in the Newbies forum: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6121_102-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=22053&messageID=243397

If you're convinced that everything that's on your hard disk is needed (warning: don't delete things you're not sure about!!) and you still need more space, the thing to do is to buy an external hard disk. Those are some 300 Gb at the moment (for $120 or so), and that's more than enough for most people.
BUT: data on an external disk is somewhat less safe than on an internal disk. So the need to burn backups to CD or DVD is more pressing. Burning to DVD can be done with XP itself. To burn to DVD you need a burning program like Nero. If your Dell came with a DVD-burner, I'm sure they included a burning program.

Hope this help.

Kees

Collapse -
Saving files to a DVD....
by Papa Echo / February 28, 2008 8:22 PM PST

You can, but you need special software to do it. Turn you CDs into floppies ! But it is not recommanded, because of issues - e.g. data can be lost; you may not be able to access the data unless you are using the same computer and the same drive used to save the data...

Two hours on the Net without results ? Search again. Put packet writing unto Google....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.