HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

Question

Saving Apps to Memory Cards

by MzDarlene / October 6, 2014 12:25 AM PDT

Is there a smart phone or OS that allows someone to save (at least) their purchased apps to a smart card for the sake of saving space on the phone for so many updates? At one time I was able to save my documents and music to a smart card and be able to use them right away. Now, I can only transfer files to a smart card. Then, I have to transfer them back to the device drive in order to use them. Thus, taking up space on my 8mb phone. Is it the phone, OS, or my lack of knowledge? Help! Please!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Saving Apps to Memory Cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Saving Apps to Memory Cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This sounds like the usual Android question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2014 12:48 AM PDT

I use ES File Explorer among others to do such transfers and moves. But 8mb is so small that I fear this is not a smart phone at all. Tell more.

There's also the old fashioned method of transferring files on a PC to the card directly.
Bob

Collapse -
My mistake.
by MzDarlene / October 8, 2014 3:45 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. But, this is at least an 8gb Android phone. Still, I want to avoid the hassle of moving and/or deleting files to maintain space on the phone for updates. Then, when I need to use a file, I have to transfer it back to the device storage to use it. If all Androids work this way, I think my next smartphone will be a Windows device.

Collapse -
Each ecosystem has its own quirks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2014 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: My mistake.

For Apple you have folk that can't stand iTunes.
For Windows Phone you have the bus issue and Microsoft's Draconian rule on apps.
For Android, yeah it's open but then you have that memory, fiddly, why this or that issue.

For me I went with Android because I can live with the quirks and save a lot of bucks. That and our office writes Android apps so we know the quirky nature.
Bob

Collapse -
Link about the bus problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2014 4:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Root your Device
by gauravweb2014 / October 14, 2014 9:37 PM PDT

It is not possible to save all the the app in the SD Card but it is very easy after the root your device or unlock the hidden features like install the custom ROM and increase processor speed, save battery and better memory management system or backup your files.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.