Windows Vista forum

General discussion

saved files/folders in vista now lost?

by freedda / September 18, 2009 1:27 AM PDT

I'm really an xp person, but I helped a friend with a new laptop with vista move files from her old to new computer. I created a few folders on her desktop then used a jump drive to copy over the files.

A few days later she opened her computer and all the folders were gone, and we don't know where they are. I believe there may have been some short cuts I put on the desktop that are gone also.

Can anyone help us find these folders/files/shortcuts on her Vista laptop?

David.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: saved files/folders in vista now lost?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: saved files/folders in vista now lost?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Going to need more to go on
by Jimmy Greystone / September 18, 2009 1:42 AM PDT

Going to need more to go on, but first... Despite how they look, there's really very little different about XP and Vista, so stop being like the rest of the wannabe techs out there and using that as an excuse. If you don't know something, just say so. And this is more of a general shotgun type comment, not aimed specifically at you.

That being said, there are a great many things that could cause this, so you're going to need to go over there and start by making sure that there isn't a major virus or malware problem. You'll also have to try and play police detective, and figure out whether or not your friend is lying when they swear they didn't change a thing since you set the system up.

Make sure they didn't do something stupid like install some kind of registry cleaner/fixer/optimizer as well. Not so much because it's likely the cause of the files and directories going missing, but you're there, so you may as well try and take care of a few other things while you're at it.

But most likely, they did something to the computer, like running the restore media, and that's why the files and directories are missing. Just tell them that if they lie to you about something they did, it's only going to make it take longer for you to sort out what happened. I'm betting they'll have quite the story to tell once you break them down.

Collapse -
wow
by freedda / September 18, 2009 2:04 AM PDT

Wow, Jimmy, that's pretty a heavy-hand response to a simple question.

Collapse -
Maybe
by Jimmy Greystone / September 18, 2009 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: wow

Maybe, but I see this sort of thing ALL THE TIME. People who swear up and down that they didn't do anything, when all the evidence points very much to the contrary. It's like those old Sylvester and Tweety cartoons, where the cat has the bird in his mouth, and then someone asks him if he knows where the bird went.

Files don't just disappear for no reason. That's just a simple fact. SOMETHING or SOMEONE caused that to happen. Maybe it was your friend, and maybe it was malware that found its way onto your friend's system. Doesn't sound like the hard drive crashed, but that too would be a specific reason. So there's something your friend isn't telling you, and it's possible they simply don't know, but odds are they are just embarrassed and won't admit to anything.

I also tend to get tired of people trying to pass off their intellectual laziness as a "I hate <Insert Product Name>!" or, "I'm a <Product Name> person, not a <Different Product Name> person." We're not talking the difference between an internal combustion and solid rocket fuel engine here, we're talking some cosmetic differences at most 99% of the time. It's nothing but intellectual laziness that prevents a person from being able to simple adapt to the situation. Again, more of a shotgun style comment, meant to apply to a large swath of people, not you specifically.

Collapse -
Example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2009 2:19 AM PDT

Run CMD and cd to \USERS Look there for *.DOC like this.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Found>cd \Users

C:\Users>dir *.doc /s/a/p
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 5031-82EE

Directory of C:\Users\Lostit

04/11/2001 09:44 PM 1,195,520 TUBESRock.doc
1 File(s) 1,195,520 bytes

More stuff shows up but you usually find stuff misplaced easily with the command line.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.