PC Applications forum

General discussion

Save list of files as a text document or spreadsheet

I am trying to go into Windows Explorer or My Computer and save the contents of a folder--the actual file names--as a text file like a list. I don't care if the result is a Word .doc file or Excel .xls file, I just want my file names as text.

I don't want to open any of the files, only save the names in a document. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Save list of files as a text document or spreadsheet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Save list of files as a text document or spreadsheet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you considered Print Screen

In reply to: Save list of files as a text document or spreadsheet

These are the instructions for doing it on Windows XP as copy and pasted from the Help file
To copy the window or screen contents
To make a copy of the active window, press ALT+PRINT SCREEN.
To copy the entire screen as it appears on your monitor, press PRINT SCREEN.
Note

To paste the image into a document, click the Edit menu in the document window, and then click Paste.

Collapse -
Yes, but...

In reply to: Have you considered Print Screen

This will insert an image file into Word, but I want actual editable text.

Collapse -
Try using 'tree' in a batch file program...

In reply to: Have you considered Print Screen

treeDirTxt
A very simple batch file I wrote to do this, save the text below as a *.bat file. Place it in the directory you want to index, then run it. See notes below. It's not perfect, but it works. Probably a way to do this so you can just call it up on a right-click menu instead of copying/pasting to each directory...

tree /f /a >dir.txt

--Makes a complete index of all files in a "tree" structure. Place a copy of the batch file in the root directory that you want an index of, then run it. The result will be a file named dir.txt placed in that root directory. (or yourname.txt)

Don't forget to rename this file before running the program again! Also, check that there is not a file named dir.txt before running the program for the first time, if there is then edit the batch file or change the existing file name.

Hope you find this useful!
John

Collapse -
SendToX

There is a useful PowerToy from Microsoft that, among other capabilities, can copy the filename(s) of the selected item in your Windows Explorer to the clipboard.

You should be able to find in as a PowerToy for Windows 95, but it also works for Windows XP. I use it.

Once installed you use it by opening the Windows Explorer, and select as many files as you want;
then right-click to the "Send To" menu;
then select "Clipboard as Name"

From there just go to any other editable file or document and paste (Ctrl-V) and you will see all the filenames entered for you.

There are other features within the PowerToy "SendToX" also.

Collapse -
Might check this out..

Collapse -
PrintFolder

Does this sound like its what you're looking for? Simple to use, and free for basic version.

PrintFolder ver. 1.2
---------------------------------
PrintFolder is a simple utility to print a list of files and folders,a feature missing in Windows Explorer.

Right-click on any folder in Windows Explorer and choose "PrintFolder" in the pop-up menu, or select a folder with the Browse for folder button.

Click the Options tab to set various program preferences, like maximum filename length, left margin, font size, invert text area colors and more.

PrintFolder is distributed as freeware.

If you want more features, like recursive listing of subfolders, configurable sort options, print preview and more, please take a look at PrintFolder Pro. You can download a FREE trial version
from website:

http://no-nonsense-software.com

Collapse -
Tree or Dir

The programs recommended above are really cool - i just downloaded them.
But if in a real hurry, use the TREE command, or you can use the good ole DIR command. The one in win2k/xp has more features than the one in win98.

dir /b>contents.txt (bare names, no filesize, etc)

dir /b/s>contents.txt (as above, but with subfolders)

dir /b/s/ad>contents.txt (show only dirs)

dir /b/s/a-d>contents.txt (show only files)

[DOS command]>[filename] creates a new file from scratch & saves the output
[DOS command]>>[filename] appends output to an existing file

Also check out the SORT command (example: SORT contents.txt) and also the FOR...IN...DO command for batch files.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.