General discussion

Save all data to D drive???

Hello,
I hired a new IT guy who is telling me not to save my data in My Documents on the C drive. Instead, he says I should put it on the D Drive so that it can be recovered if ever my computer needs to be re-formatted. Is this true? It is the first time I hear this. If I have the option, I prefer to keep my D for large photo and video files.

Tech info: I have a HP Pavillion dv600 laptop with the hard drive partitioned into C: and D:

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Save all data to D drive???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Save all data to D drive???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
And what happens

if the whole Drive fails? Whether two separate disks or 2 partitions on one disk, if you only have one copy of those documents and other personal files and that disk fails, then you have lost everything.

I am not particularly into moving My Documents, but if it is on a separate partition I can almost see the benefit if the OS needs reinstalling on the primary drive. However, since a reinstall also creates a My Documents set of folders for each account created, you may find mismatches if you try to point the new account at the old My Documents folders.

But the easiest and safest way to do this is to "take backup copies" of all your personal files. That way, it doesn't matter where the originals are.

Mark

- Collapse -
I have a HP Pavillion dv6 too

I believe the D: drive is ONLY for the built-in HP recovery drive. You are not suppose to store anything else on it. Even though it shows up in Windows Explorer and My Computer. Like my D: drive shows 14gb with 2gb free. It's so you can restore your computer back to factory settings without using the restore cd.

On my Dell the recovery drive D: doesn't even show up on the list so you can't even get to it.

- Collapse -
A couple of thoughts . . .

Volvogirl may be correct. If the D: drive came with the PC, it is surely the recovery partition. As such, there will be minimal space for your "stuff". And if the drive completely fails, you've lost everything.

Some laptops contain two physical drives, and if so the D: drive could be a logical location for your "stuff". If the C: drive fails, the D: drive containing your "stuff" will remain intact. Until it fails.

Since you didn't tell us if the PC has one physical drive or two, it's your choice. I don't research PCs to find out if if they have one drive or two.

Another alternative (which I use) is to save all your "stuff" to a physical second drive. In the case of a laptop your choice is either a USB drive or a thumb drive. I use a physical second drive (internal slave) AND burn what I can't afford to loose to a DVD.

If you have only one physical drive, choose some type of external storage.

CNET Forums

Forum Info