HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Satellite Internet

by Kelray / November 12, 2003 3:07 AM PST

I am getting tired of the slow dialup Internet Connect speeds I get. I have been looking at the satellite Internet providers out there. The one that looks the best to me is Directway. I am just wondering if somebody could tell me how reliable it is and what kind of connect speeds are realistic with it. Any other information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Satellite Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Satellite Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Satellite Internet
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2003 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Satellite Internet

Relibility is up to weather patterns and the behaviour of the Sun. Nothing new here.

Gamers hate satellite since PING times are large since your signal is traveling thousands of miles.

Bob

Collapse -
Satelite Internet
by curttaylor / January 6, 2005 5:32 AM PST

I have had Directway installed for about two months. I am very satisfied with their service. My home is located in an area that does not have cable or DSL and the best I could do on dialup was 20kps. Directway speeds are comperable to the speed they advertise, typically 500 to 600 KPS download. I haven't measured upload, but they advertise 50kps. In two months I have lost service once during a heavy rain storm.

Collapse -
Wish our's worked as good as yours....
by critch / January 18, 2005 3:21 AM PST
In reply to: Satelite Internet

The first month we were happy, a little annoyed at the lag, but the speed was worth it.
After December, though, speed went down the tubes

Using DirectWay?s own speed test, I got these numbers (down/up) 57K/269K; 57/179; 57/220; 156/61; 123/60; 165/63; 57/196; 58/36; 77/46; 45/24; 49/19; 75/13; 65/13; 98/38

Last Night 106/11; 105/14

I shoulda stuck to dial-up ??

Collapse -
Direcway Satelite
by sparks101 / April 8, 2005 12:43 AM PDT

If you are looking for satelite internet I do not recommend Direcway. If you check them out on the better business bureau they have an unfavorable rating due to numerous complaints, mine being one of them. I've spent the last two days trying to clear up a banking headache they've caused because they took money out of my account without my authorization. Apparently their contract, which I failed to read in full prior to signing, is full of information you should definetly know. There is a fair access policy which means you're only allowed to download so much before your service will just go completely down. They informed me of this after my 30 day trial period was up. The tech support is real dandy , oh and let's not forget about their customer service, there's some friendly folks. I've been burned by this company and I think if you go on to other forums and the BBB website you will find many others have as well.

Collapse -
watch out for direcway
by cm04 / May 8, 2005 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Direcway Satelite

I just got direcway. According to their "speed testing tool", they are meeting their advertised speeds, but this appears to apply only to http and not for secure protocol. Especially when it comes to bidding on ebay - its worse than dialup - many times over! Its hard to fathom paying so much for a connection that locks up for over a minute! Watch out!

Collapse -
Ran into the same
by critch / May 9, 2005 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: watch out for direcway

Any secured connection dogs down.

They do say it..... somewhere in the fine print, on the back page, under the cover, at the back, in the bottom of the bird cage.

Collapse -
Directway
by critch / April 8, 2005 4:59 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.