Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Satellite failure leaves internet customers linkless

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 30, 2004 2:28 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Satellite failure leaves internet customers linkless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Satellite failure leaves internet customers linkless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And I'm one of those customers........crying towel handy
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 2:34 AM PST

using crappy emergency dial up again (great blazing speeds of 28.8 right now), but at least after four days of no satellite service while they figure it out at Starband's end, I can now get back on the net while I wait it out.

Just as I was getting ready for my website to be back available, too.......Still working on it during this blackout time but getting closer to going back 'live'.

Crap......................

TONI

Collapse -
I was thinking of you Toni when the name Starband
by SteveGargini / November 30, 2004 5:35 AM PST

popped up.
Sorry to hear of that problem.

Collapse -
By the way
by SteveGargini / November 30, 2004 5:43 AM PST

Did you see the message I left to you on one of the threads way back, that Win98 has all the same flaws as win95 that I found, which probably cause most of the blue screens.
I am running Win98se and have carried out all registry changes, and am running all the registry checkers that I ran on win95, and I haven't had a single blue screen yet. That's over a year.
I have the added bonus of system file checker in win98, so I am a very happy bunny.
Good luck with your site.

Collapse -
Re: And I'm one of those customers........crying towel handy

Hi, Toni.

I knew that, and had you in mind when I posted, but didn't want to mention that aspect out of concern for your privacy. You have my profound sympathy!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Priorities, priorities
by Steven Haninger / November 30, 2004 6:00 AM PST

At least these people got prompt attention.

Intelsat was able to switch many of its customers, such as the Playboy Channel and the Nebraska lottery system, to some of the other 27 satellites in its fleet within hours of the loss.

Were they the squeeky wheel? Happy

Collapse -
Any businesses with the big bucks
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: Priorities, priorities

get top priority compared to lowly residential users from the boonies, dear.......When service first came out with two way ability, it was $600 for the dish (dual in my case because Dishnetwork was involved back then so I have tv on one receiver on the dish and modem service on the other receiver) and $75 per month for a two year contract. The two companies separated over a year ago and my tv service is fine...

Just got an update email from Starband (don't know how they figured I was ever gonna see it without their service and ability to get online.......duhhhh) to let me know that they are suspending all billing and charges for their services while they 'figure it out', and that once they get us onto another satellite, one of their technicians would have to come out to the house to reset the alignment to the new satellite. No telling how long this is all going to take......so I'll poke along at 28.8 on crap phone lines again for a while and just keep working on my website.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

TONI

Collapse -
Also..one of the things that pisses me off
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 6:14 AM PST

more than anything is that I called Earthlink (which also has satellite service)....they use the same EchoStar setup as Starband, but insist I would need to pay for a new dish in order to get their service and I can't for the life of me understand why when all they have to do is supply me with their own modem (which I'm willing to pay for if need be) and have somebody come out to point my receiver at their stupid satellite.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Also..one of the things that pisses me off
by cbbrown / November 30, 2004 7:20 AM PST

since it's so stupid i assume that is the reason it would have trouble finding your dish

here is to hoping you are back in the saddle again before too much bp time

Collapse -
Update
by TONI H / December 2, 2004 9:24 PM PST

Starband thought at first that the satellite involved could not be repaired and they were going to try to get us switched to another satellite, which would have involved having a tech guy come out to realign the dish so it's pointing at the new satellite. However, it appears that good things are beginning to happen with the old one. I'll be checking back with them on their website for another update today about getting us back up and running. Dial up at only 28.8 is sucking hugely here.....I've been spoiled badly and have the need for speed again.

>>>>This is an update as of:
2:00 p.m. Thursday, December 2nd
Intelsat has been able to recover a large segment of the IA-7 satellite. As of 2:00 p.m, we are testing Cluster 050 and customers may have their service restored as soon as this afternoon. Please keep in mind that service may be intermittent until testing is complete.
If testing goes as expected, customers on Clusters 002 and 189 will be able to start restoring service as early as 12:00 p.m. ET on Friday 12/03/04. These customers will be required to download a small file and reprogram their modem; however, they will not be required to move or re-point their StarBand antenna.
Further instructions will be sent to your StarBand e-mail address and posted on this announcement.
We sincerely regret this inconvenience and thank you for your patience. >>>>

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?