Laptops forum

General discussion

Satellite A135S4467 not powering up after memory upgrade

by Gerardo_U / January 26, 2008 7:27 PM PST

I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4467, it runs Vista Home Premium 32, has Core 2 Duo 1.6GHz processors, and uses the Mobile Intel 945GM Express chipset. It originally came with two 512MB PC4200 DDR2 Ram Modules, which I recently decided to upgrade. According to Toshiba & the compatability specs on the package, the PC5300's can be used when upgrading, which were what I could find readily at hand to upgrade my laptop to its max capacity of 4GB.

The first two boots I was having a hard time figuring out why System settings was only showing 3GB of Ram. After going through some forum posts I saw the 'flaw' in the Vista design which can only use 3GB of expanded memory, and only Vista64, which can work with 8GB (7GB expanded), so even though I felt a little cheated there, I figured my system would still run much better than before. (By the way, if there is a way around this I would appreciate any tips)

After a few more boots of my system however, my system fails to fully start up. I turn on my laptop, the LED power button light turns on, I can hear a disk start up, not sure if it might be the DVD or the hard drive, but my screen does not turn on (it's not just black, its as if the laptop were still off). Everything else is pretty much unresponsive. The keyboard I know isn't working at that point, since I have the settings set up to make my system to shut down when I hut the power button. I have to do the 3sec press on it to shut it down. I don't hear any error beeps either. I already checked my device manager for any possible conflicts, but nothing shows up. I have all drivers up to date.

In the past year I haven't had anything like this happen before, so could it be due to bad ram modules? or what else could it possibly be? As for the installation of the modules, I used appropriate handling techniques when installing them to prevent any static discharge.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Satellite A135S4467 not powering up after memory upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Satellite A135S4467 not powering up after memory upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you put the old ram back in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2008 10:34 PM PST

As to the 3GB issue that is not a flaw but a limitation on the OS and hardware design. It's been there since before 2000 so there's been plenty of documentation.

-> Try crucial.com for your next ram.

Bob

Collapse -
Yes, no prob with old ones
by Gerardo_U / January 27, 2008 5:34 PM PST

Actually yes, the old 4200's don't replicate this problem. Also, I was a little thrown off by the results of Crucial.com. The test run while the 5300's were in did properly detect them, but on the specs it said 4200's, which is normal considering that's what it came with. But then when I ran it again with the old 4200's it shows that I should upgrade with 5200's (reread to make sure), which are not recommended by Toshiba, nor local retailers.

That being said, is it more likely that this is a compatability issue or a damaged module one?

Collapse -
Were the sticks from crucial?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2008 8:51 PM PST

There are too many compatibility issues in this area so if the generics don't work I order the crucial parts.

Be sure you know about the 2.0 GB issue and limits before you go overboard.

Bob

Collapse -
No they were not
by Gerardo_U / January 28, 2008 9:01 AM PST

I bought them at my local Micro Center, Buffalo brand. I didn't think it would be an issue since I've used that brand for desktops before. So I guess at this point I'll try to rull out compatability by switching modules. Thanks for all your advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.