Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SATA with PATA as Slave

by tsranch / April 5, 2005 11:39 PM PDT

80gb Western SATA (sata1)
40gb Western PATA (want to slave it)
MSI MTV6 MoBo (sata controller on board)
AMI Bios 2.0
512mb PC2700
AMD XP-2600+
DVD and CD-Burner on Secondary IDE, (M/S respectfully)
for a while the bios was reconizing the 40gb (slaved on primary ide) then not, then yes, now not. Should the 40gb be mastered on the primary ide? Tried to auto detect the 40 and user defined, same results. Also, anyone know about the converter chip/module that'll plug into PATA and convert the interface to SATA. It would be easier and use sata2.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA with PATA as Slave
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA with PATA as Slave
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Improper setups tend to be unstable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 12:10 AM PDT

Having a drive as slave on an IDE channel with no master is not "to the book" and may or may not work reliable. After many years of dealing with the PC, I've found that the best setups tend to be as close to plain and to spec as possible. What may work is one thing and "interesting" but not what I'd want to rely on.

Bob

Collapse -
True
by tsranch / April 6, 2005 12:19 AM PDT

as have I, just never dealt with serial setup's and it's kinda weird having two ATA's IDEs as master. Especially when both Primaries will be fighting for Master.

Collapse -
What for?
by Yew / April 6, 2005 12:16 AM PDT

You've got a SATA controller, so why not put the SATA drive on that, and make the other one the master?

If the motherboard has SATA onboard, chances are real good there's an option in the CMOS to let you boot from that drive if you want instead of the PATA drive. Then you don't have any issues with odd configurations that may or may not cause strange problems.

Collapse -
Booting
by tsranch / April 6, 2005 6:59 AM PDT
In reply to: What for?

SATA is boot drive, bios enabled, PATA is on primary ide, both onboard enabled via bios. just having a hard time getting the bios to reconize the PATA consistently. MSI has a online update for the mobo and yes all VIA drivers, bios, etc. are up to date.

Collapse -
Because you're setting it as a slave
by Yew / April 6, 2005 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Booting

As already explained, the problem is probably because you're trying to set it as a slave device on a controller with no master device. This is unnecessary, and if I were to interject my personal opinion, stupid.

The SATA drive should be on the SATA controller. Then make the PATA drive the master on the PATA controller. Since the two are completely different controllers, there won't be any conflicts, just like you don't have conflicts with optical drives set as master on the second PATA controller. I don't get why you're trying to make this more difficult than it need be.

Collapse -
The rabbit hole is deeper than many suspect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 11:59 AM PDT

Imagine the poor owner with a BIOS that is buggy. I've run into a few that will not boot from the device you selected in the BIOS, but usually I find out the motherboard maker has a new BIOS then and there or when you call it in, you hear that it will be released RSN.

Sometimes it's enough to switch to the dark side.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by tsranch / April 6, 2005 12:18 PM PDT

you've just confirmed my thinking on reflection.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?