HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

SATA Problem

by dislogik / January 21, 2006 7:08 AM PST

Installed a SATA Hard Drive and was using it as a media drive. Also have two IDE hard drives as well. Everything was working fine and then all of a sudden the hard drive isn't working, or working extremely slowly. With it installed it takes about 45 minutes for my system to boot, without it everything works fine.
Is it just a bad drive, or am I missing something more obvious?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dowmload the HD MFGs diag and test drive
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2006 11:43 AM PST
In reply to: SATA Problem
Collapse -
System startup
by dislogik / January 21, 2006 12:32 PM PST

My system won't start up if I have the drive connected. How would I go about running the program if I can't have the drive hooked up?

Collapse -
The mfgs diag will create a bootable floppy disk
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2006 11:07 PM PST
In reply to: System startup

with the diags on it. Set up your system to boot from the floppy drive first. Then run the diag.

Collapse -
Floopy Drive
by dislogik / January 22, 2006 1:30 AM PST

Is there anyway to do it if I don't have a floopy drive?

Collapse -
Given the price, there's no reason not to have floppy drive
by VAPCMD / January 22, 2006 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Floopy Drive

There might be a CD option

All my systems have floppy disk drives ... no reason to try CDs thus far. At $7 to $10 there's virtually no reason NOT to get one.

Collapse -
Floopy Drive
by dislogik / January 23, 2006 7:05 AM PST

Ok, I got the floopy drive and ran powermax, but it didn't even detect the hard drive. The hard drive made a couple of sounds, and it took forever to boot from the floopy disc, but it didn't find it.
Does that mean my Drive is bad, or maybe the motherboard?

Collapse -
Are you certain
by VAPCMD / January 24, 2006 3:43 AM PST
In reply to: Floopy Drive

...the SATA controller is still enabled in the BIOS ?

Only way to check is to try the drive on another system that should recognize it.

If it's not spinning up... forget further tesing and call the mfg for an RMA.

Let us know what happens.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Corrupt driver?
by CrashT / January 24, 2006 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Are you certain

Is it possible that the SATA driver was corrupted? Just a thought..

Collapse -
Tried That
by dislogik / January 25, 2006 2:37 PM PST
In reply to: Corrupt driver?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried and failed with that one. Looks like I am sending it back for a new one. Pain in the ***, but at least I backed everything up.

Collapse -
CONGRATULATIONS . . . The Good News....
by VAPCMD / January 26, 2006 4:21 AM PST
In reply to: Tried That

A. You were backed up and

B. The defective drive will go back and be replaced under warranty !

You're one of the few here that's recognized that hard disk corruption or failure is not a matter of "IF" but rather "WHEN" and did something to address it.

Hoping others will note and take action.

Collapse -
New Problem
by dislogik / February 7, 2006 9:10 AM PST

So I have my other drive ready to ship out, but now I am experiencing the same problem with my slave drive. It is an IDE drive, and all of a sudden my system doesn't see it. If I disconect it, I start up fine, but with it connected the system won't boot up. I am now thinking I may have a bad motherboard, any thoughts?

Collapse -
Give us info about your system....
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2006 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: New Problem

...esp the Power Supply. May not have enough power for the components you've got in the box.

Collapse -
System Info
by dislogik / February 7, 2006 12:42 PM PST

I have a 400w power supply.
An MSI Motherboard
AMD 2800
1 GB RAM
A CD Burner
A DVD Drive
2 IDE Hard Drives
1 SATA Hard Drive (Being Sent Back)
GeForce 6600GT

Also my computer will just reboot without me doing anything to reboot it.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Does it reboot after hours of use ?
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2006 4:55 PM PST
In reply to: System Info

Or virtually anytime.?

Looked at any of the TEMPs...esp the CPU ?

Large case or small case ?

How many case fans and what direction of flow ?

Collapse -
Reboots
by dislogik / February 8, 2006 12:32 AM PST

It reboots randomly. It has done it after hours of use, but it has also done it after just being turned on. I have a medium size case with good airflow. I haven't looked at the temp, but will.

Collapse -
CPU Temp
by dislogik / February 8, 2006 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Reboots

I am sitting at 33C while idle, been running for awhile, and if I play a game it runs up to 43C.

Collapse -
Doesn't sound like CPU heat.
by VAPCMD / February 8, 2006 4:40 PM PST
In reply to: CPU Temp

How about the PS....what brand and model ? I saw 400W but that doesn't mean much these days. Some of them are real crap.

If you get a chace try running a good RAM test to eliminate that ...like MemTest86 or DOCMem.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And it will be replaced under warranty...
by VAPCMD / February 7, 2006 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Tried That
Collapse -
Slow drive
by ranron / February 10, 2006 12:06 PM PST

I did not read the other responses, but it sounds like an controller problem. Go to desktop and right click on ''My Computer'' then ''Manage.'' Then go to ''Device Manager'' and go to ''IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.'' Right click each of the ones that say ''----- IDE Channel'' and go to properties. Then go to ''Advance Settings.'' If any of the drives lists PIO Only as the transfer mode, you have a problem.

Let me explain what PIO is before I continue. PIO stands for Processor Input Output because it uses your computer processor to control the hard drive (booting and the drive are fighting for the CPU). DMA is Direct Memory Access and that uses the special IDE controller to controll the hard drive. The reason the drive may have automatically jumped to PIO mode is because it received read/write errors. This is how it works: The drive starts are usually DMA5 or DMA4 and each time there is a read/write error, the drive decreases one level until it goes to PIO only which is the slowest. Note, error does not indicate drive failure, just read/write error (like packet loss on a network).

Now right click on each of the ''---- IDE Controller'' (with the slow drive connected) and click ''Uninstall.'' Don't restart until you have uninstalled all of them.

Restart and Windows will start up good again and everything will be reinstalled.

We are not done yet. The final step is go to Windows Registry (Start-->Run-->''regedit''), HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SYSTEM, CurrentControlSet, Class, {4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}. There you will see several folders labeled 0000, 0001, etc as each represents the IDE controller (0001 is primary, 0002 is secondary, etc). Click on each of the folders and the keys will be displayed. Now right click on the key screen and go to ''New''-->''DWORD Value''. It must be a DWORD. Name the key ''ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess'' with exact way (without quotes) then press Enter. Right click on the key and click ''Modify''. Then input 1 and click Ok.

Repeat the key insert with every folder (0000, 0001, etc.) Restart your computer and you shouldn't have the problem again.

The reason we input this key is tell the computer that everytime we read/write okay, reset to the highest controller mode (DMA), so it guarantees that you won't have to use PIO again.

Collapse -
Solved?
by Wings / February 10, 2006 5:23 PM PST
In reply to: Slow drive

Ranron's reply sounds good. Did disklogik's problem get solved? That's what's left to find out ...

Collapse -
You have called it.
by dislogik / February 13, 2006 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: Slow drive

You seem to be right in what you are thinking, but If I hook up the other drives, my system won't even boot.
Not sure if I added this above, but now my slave drive on my ide connection is doing the exact same thing. If I disconnect it my system starts fine, but if I hook it up it won't get past the boot screens.

Collapse -
Some possible solutions
by ranron / February 14, 2006 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: You have called it.

Have you checked using these malfunctioning drives on a friend's computer? There can be several possible problems. You might have a bad controller. Is your power supply failing? I had a PS that ran my computer well, but system performance began to degrade. Then my system failed altogether. After I replaced my PS it was fine again. Can you try that? You could try and use a friend's computer and see if it works. Also in BIOS, the settings might have changed from booting from the wrong drive. I had a problem like that when I fixing a friend's drive and I could not boot every time I connected it. Then I found my computer was booting off my friend's bad drive. Check that?

It doesn't seem that your drives are failing because two drives failing like that is a bit slim.

If all hell breaks loose, you can buy an external enclosure for about $30 and use the internal slave drives as an external drive using USB. That might allow you to get data or see if the drive works without using a friend's computer.

Finally hard drives are more prone to failure in heat, so if your computer is hot (temperature), then that might be a problem.

It may be as simple as a damaged boot.ini or damaged MBT.

I can usually fix problems like this with some time, but without actually seeing the problem first hand it is difficult to diagnose the culprit of the problem.

Collapse -
SATA Drive
by dislogik / February 15, 2006 9:38 AM PST

Well I tried the SATA Drive on a different computer, and it did not recognize the drive as being hooked up to that computer. So I am going to send that back. Then I will try your other methods and see if they work with the rest of the system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.