General discussion

SATA or PATA or IDE

Hello
I will first appoligse if I am in the wrong link. Sorry
Without opening up my Laptop computer (as I am a novice with computers) can you please tell me, where I can find information on my Laptop computer about my hard drive. I wish to know if my hard drive is a SATA or PATA or IDE.
Help please
Many thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: SATA or PATA or IDE
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SATA or PATA or IDE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
First tell us . . .

laptop make and model. Or have you gone to the manufacturer's web site?

- Collapse -
SATA or PATA or IDE

All I know is that its a DEll Laptop Computer,and running Vista

- Collapse -
And all we know ...

is that Dell sold both IDE and SATA laptops. So that does't really help.

What does Device Manager say about the disk?

Kees

- Collapse -
SATA or PATA or IDE

Hello, and thanks you for your help, I went into the Device Manager and all its given me this.....WDC WD50 00BEVT-00SCS SCSI Disk Service.
Thats all I could get....sorry

- Collapse -
Re: disc

The context of this line might be useful, but even that doesn't always make it clear for the laymen like you and me.

But I found http://www.karan.org/blog/index.php/2009/09/23/western-digital-wd50-2-5-sata-500gb-disk.

You didn't tell how old the laptop is (in years), nor how big the hard disk (in GB), not what hard disk you exactly ordered when you configured your laptop at dell.com, nor what's on the order confirmation and the bill, not what dell tells you if enter the service tag on their site, nor what their customer service told you when you asked them.
But if it's a relatively new laptop and a relatively big hard disk, my guess is SATA.

Why do you want to know it?

Kees

- Collapse -
SATA or PATA or IDE

The reason I ask is because, my wife bought me a larger hard drive than whats in the computer, and its is a SATA, but I did not know how to find out what the hard drive in the computer is, hence asking the question. If itsnot a SATA I can go back to the store and change it, but the question had to be asked first.

Thank you very much for all you knowledge and patience

- Collapse -
The quickest and easiest way to find out ...
- Collapse -
Which might lead to the next step.

How to swap the disks and keep the contents?

Kees

- Collapse -
My guess is SATA,...but if you just give us the Dell laptop

SERIES and MODEL NUMBER, we could tell you for sure. It's found in your laptop docs and on the Dell website under 'Support'.

You could also download and run HDTune and it will give you the exact drive model and serial number. Armed with the model number...you can check the mfg's site for the drive specs.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html (get the free version V2.55)

VAPCMD

- Collapse -
dell support

Goto the support section at Dell's website. Once in support area, use your Dell system ID#/repair tag#/model# and proceed forward. If you use ID# or repair tag#, you will find the actual build-up info on your system. The tag and/or ID# is on a decal/sticker on your Dell laptop. Dell can also search that for you while online, allow them access to search. If the answer doesn't make sense, then have the HD in hand. Since, you plan to replace old HD, then using Dell support again, find out the procedure for replacing HD. Use this info on top of all the other info already suggested here. You can also, query in the Dell forum here and allow Dell monitors to help. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
Re: dell forum

Willy,

Not all manufacturers forums here are equal.

The support given by Samsung and AVG on their forums is really excellent. But the most we hear from Dell is coming from their representatives posting things like "Hi, I'm Jenna. I'm the Dell University representative at abc university. Did you know we have a perfect offer for you at the moment? Just enter promotion code xyz to get a reduction of $50."
And, as you can understand, those posts are deleted (even in Deals and Bargains forum).

Kees

- Collapse -
SATA or PATA or IDE

Hello, everybody.

I just want to say a big thank you to everyone, that help me with this link.
I have given up with this for now, but should I decide to activate it again, I will come and ask for your help.
Thanking you all

CNET Forums

Forum Info