PC Hardware forum

General discussion

SATA drive not being found by Windows XP

by tchadha / November 5, 2007 12:33 PM PST

I have a WD 120 G Sata drive. Have used the tool from WD that you boot from the CD and it initializes the disk. All goes well.

Install Windows from the CD and at the end it complains that that it didn't find any drivers for the hard disk and quits.

Have tried formating the drive with a Dos as well as wiping it clean, same result.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA drive not being found by Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA drive not being found by Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
SATA drive / BIOS
by billzhills / November 5, 2007 9:23 PM PST

You may need drivers but I've yet to have a SATA connection on the MB needing special drivers to install Windows, unless a RAID array was being installed.

First check your BIOS settings for first boot device, not boot order.
Cannot be more specific as MB was not listed and unable to look in manual for correct terms and location of setting.

If you have a USB memory card reader disconnect this device during Windows install. This also will cause issues or shove Windows down to the last drive letter of installed devices.

Bill

Collapse -
Typical SATA install
by Willy / November 5, 2007 10:25 PM PST

During the XP install, it asks for special(otther) drivers for devices, in your case SATA, you need the drivers on a floppy to load them at that point. Thus, prepare a floppy with drivers from the SATA makers CD or support website. If you have no floppy drive, then ngoogle for answers, it can be done, but gets involved. Use "load SATA drivers" as search keywords or similar. Here's a start:
http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/581271-windows-recovery-console-press-f6.html

Regardless or RAID or not, its gets over that SATA hump and you can select later if the needs arises. Older SATA mtrbds. were problematic, but newer releases are easier to work with but still pose this basic issue. Alas be sure once all this is finished and works, to look for any bios updates that may address SATA issues, if you care to.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Sata Drivers
by tchadha / November 6, 2007 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Typical SATA install

I have been to the Western Digital website and they don't have the drivers for the drives, more of an Windows/Dos install programs. Really frustrating why the Hard drive guys don't provide drivers that you can download.

Any ideas.

Collapse -
The drivers would be from your motherboard maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2007 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Sata Drivers

You just need to look at the right vendor...

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, check your mtrbd. or OEM maker support website
by Willy / November 6, 2007 4:39 AM PST
In reply to: Sata Drivers
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?