Desktops forum

General discussion

SATA Drive

by vm2006 / July 27, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

I am trying to put together a new computer
I made a few before with IDE hard drives and had no problems.
Now my new motherboard works just with SATA drive and I have no idea how to install windows xp, it just does not see a drive.
Any ideas?
Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are a couple
by jackintucson / July 27, 2007 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: SATA Drive

of reasons for your problem. Read the motherboard's manual carefully. It should tell you how to handle a single disk as opposed to RAID configurations. This will require setup in the BIOS. Positioning the data cable in the correct connection on the motherboard is also critical. Does the POST recognize there is a drive there?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
sata drive
by vm2006 / July 27, 2007 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: There are a couple

I have no manual
Motherboard is bulk cheep
May be I will try to find it online
But bios does see the sata drive I have 2 12oG, it sees one 250G
as soon as i try to load windows setup adorts because it does not see it

Collapse -
Here's a primer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 10:50 AM PDT
In reply to: sata drive
Collapse -
sata hard drive
by vm2006 / July 27, 2007 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a primer.

Unfortunately I have xp sp1
Tried to press F6 nothing happens
Gee... it was so easy with IDE

Collapse -
Maybe, look at...
by Willy / July 27, 2007 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: sata hard drive

Mount only 1 SATA drive and have the SATA driver s/w already copied to a floppy. You do have a floppy drive? Then go through the XP install again and when it asks for(F6) ext. s/w to mount it, then direct to floppy as source. Get the SATA from the mtrbd. support website or if the HD maker has it, get it that way. If this is successful, then shutdown and add your 2nd SATA drive. SATA are a pain in XP setup, so don't feel left out. You can google away for other possible methods, but the above is the most accepted method. Otherwise, you may need to slipstream a XP bootdisk with SP2 as part of the latest updates to get over, since you mentioned only SP1.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Do you have some USB Keyboard?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2007 10:49 PM PDT

Sometimes you have to have the old PS2 keyboard for F6 to work.

Yes I know that some BIOS setting might cure this but let's go for the method that works everytime.

Bob

Collapse -
sata hard drive
by vm2006 / July 28, 2007 11:42 AM PDT

It does not see a USB keyboard I am using a regular one
I need to find somewhere a floppy drive, have not use one for 4 years at least
Motherboard is Gigabyte GA K8N Pro
Not a big loss but I do not want to quit because I need a ps and now no matter what I will still need to go through the same thing with any SATA MB because I do not want VISTA OS
Thanks
Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Oh. I didn't know...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2007 11:48 AM PDT

You didn't have the floppy drive. Many are complaining about this during a SATA XP install. The workaround is to slipstream the drivers. You'll find that procedure on google but a floppy drive seems too easy.

It's why I now own an USB FLOPPY DRIVE.

Bob

Collapse -
Help with SATA
by CornerStone__ / July 30, 2007 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: SATA Drive

First I'd Double check the sata drive is properly connected, power and data connection. Then I'd try installing linux, www.ubuntu.com works the easiest, see if it recongnizes it. If not I'd get a new ata or ide. atleast 5400 you wont know the difference. good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?