General discussion

SATA cables order to motherboard

On my motherboard there are six SATA plug in locations. I was wondering if there is an order that the devices should be plugged like the IDE of old. I know there are no jumpers to set but just curious.

Thanks,
RON C

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: SATA cables order to motherboard
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SATA cables order to motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My choice here.

I used the ports in order from 0 and up (0,1,2,3,4) and put the boot drive on zero and then installed Windows 7 without much fuss. About all I can warn about is to label what drive goes to what port to avoid finding out what happens when you mix them up later.
Bob

- Collapse -
SATA

Bob,

Thanks.

I did the same but was wondering whether there was a performance difference having say the boot and DVD following each other (I remember back when all master/slave stuff was crucial).

RON C

- Collapse -
I'm going with no. But let me share a finding.
- Collapse -
SATA

Bob,

Thanks.

I found updated RAID software and installed it. Seems like an improvement in disk i/o as system doesn't thrash as much on large files (but it could be my mental clock is off).

RON C

- Collapse -
That's what I noticed too.

After the Intel other item that I never found I needed before 7, the machine picked up some speed that made all the difference from me wondering what was dogging the machine to "hey, this is nice."
Bob

PS. Sorry, I got nothing else here.

CNET Forums