Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

SATA and PATA

My system is windows XP service pack 2 with mother board ECS (945g-m3) and Pentium 3.2 Gig CPU. Motherboard support both PATA and SATA hard drive.
I want to add SATA hard drive and want SATA will be the first boot in my system.
Please advise.

Thanks,

Tommy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA and PATA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA and PATA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Read a few articles about how to install XP.

In reply to: SATA and PATA

Collapse -
wireless network problem

In reply to: Read a few articles about how to install XP.

I use to online with Compaq Notebook V5101US with the built in wireless network, with windows XP Service Pack 2.
Last week the wireless got problem to connect with the network. I check the driver it ok, but always the message say not connect and it can not view the network. The wireless icon show disable, but when I enable it become disconnect.
I try to set up the firewall off then on, however both cases wireless cannot connect to the network.
I try to install an USB Netgear wireless adapter, the problem the same.

The wireless in others desktops working well.

Please help

Collapse -
You should start a new discussion if...

In reply to: wireless network problem

This has nothing to do with SATA PATA drives. Members might not open up this discussion since the new topic isn't reflected in the subject title.

Your choice.

Bob

Collapse -
So add it

Just set the SATA drive to be first in the BIOS boot order. Couple of minutes with the motherboard manual should have ferreted that one out.

You will have to reinstall Windows for this to happen, and that can be a bit more involved than your average install. Google would be an excellent resource for finding the specifics of doing this. You can also attempt using disk imaging programs like Ghost, though I suspect it will turn out to be a rather large waste of time.

Collapse -
May not be worth making it

the boot drive. Installing XP to a SATA can be a PITA . If you need to reinstall, you go through the nonsense again.

If you already have a succesful install, put the SATA drive in and then install the SATA drivers from the CD that came with the mobo/system and use it as another drive..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.