PC Hardware forum

General discussion

SATA and EIDE hard drives on same motherboard ???

by chefbob2 / November 1, 2009 3:51 AM PST

I am upgrading my computer (first build Athelon socket 939) in preparation to istall W7. I would like to make my current boot drive (EIDE) a slave to a new clean HD (SATA).
The are plugs for both. Will the updated computer (intel i5, asus P7P55D Evo, 4gigs DDR3 1600) recognize the SATA as "C" and the EIDE as slave. Do I just set the EIDE HD jumpers to slave or cable select? Set the boot sequence in the BIOS? Any other hoops may I have to jump thru? Gracias

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SATA and EIDE hard drives on same motherboard ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SATA and EIDE hard drives on same motherboard ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 4:45 AM PST

The machines I've seen allow you to set the IDE as boot but the slave would be the second IDE drive. There are some machines where the SATA drive would land on the virtual or emulated second IDE channel but that is not what you asked for.

Why not try the various setups?

Collapse -
How about
by deniceels / November 3, 2009 8:08 PM PST

diconnecting the EIDE cable from the IDE harddisk, install Win7, set the jumper on the IDE harddisk to slave (not cable select), update your bio's boot sequence to runoff the SATA harddisk as first boot followed by an optical drive then the EIDE harddisk.

SATA harddisk in bios may need to be set to emulate IDE before installation (sorry as the last system I installed was SATA with Win XP which I had to do that, thus may differ with your system with Win7).

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?