Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sasmung Hpt4254 Plasma clicking

by mac51894 / November 29, 2009 8:54 AM PST

2 years ago I purchased my Samsung HPT4254, and this morning I turned on the tv, and after 5 minutes it shutdown and kept clicking as if it were powering on. I removed the shell, and took out the power supply to look for blown circuits, but I didn't see any bulging. I had a samsung technician come out, just to have him tell me it would be $300 to repair, but all he told me is that it was the power supply. Can someone please give me an answer as to what to do, and what this white gunk looking stuff all over the power supply is?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sasmung Hpt4254 Plasma clicking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sasmung Hpt4254 Plasma clicking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And the reason . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 29, 2009 9:49 AM PST

you don't believe the tech is what? And you are a certified solid state tester and tech?

$300.00 for a repair is chicken feed. You want the TV fixed? Pay for it. Unless your extended warranty will cover it.

I don't mean to be tacky, but really. If the TV is broken, pay to have it fixed.

Collapse -
And the reason...
by ringwill / December 23, 2010 4:38 PM PST
In reply to: And the reason . . .

The only problem I have with this whole thing is that this particular issue is happening with many owners of this television. How can a manufacturer not be held responsible for a product that has such a systemic failure rate? They are already making good on this problem on their LCDs, but the plasma owner have to foot out 300.00. Give me a break...

Collapse -
Think over who the manufacturer is here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2010 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: And the reason...

Many folk are writing about this and just a bit more research is required to find the manufacturer of the defective parts.

Type BAD CAPS into google and you find the story, pictures and more. And it's not this maker's HDTVs you find but PCs, other electronics and almost everywhere this part is used. The maker of this part is not being held accountable.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes. This and other models do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 10:15 AM PST

1. The one thing you must know is this is not a Samsung exclusive issue.

2. To have it fixed, about 300.

3. You can discover what parts it could be but if you are the electronics repair it yourself type, you would google it and that's all you would need to know. I am not being unkind here. If you don't research it this is a sign you should have it fixed.
Bob

Collapse -
Who opted for shoddy parts?
by rollercanary / May 5, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

Many manufacturers will use various parts from other manufacturers in order to assemble their own products.
The questions that I have are these:
What responsibility does a company have towards its customers for using shoddy components?
Why choose to use parts in you product that cause problems?
The power supply units on these units are obviously flawed.
I have a 4 uear warranty (From Transglobal-AKA The Brick in Edmonton) that will expire this year.
Every year I've owned the same unit you descibe, I had to call about it shutting off and turning on by itself.
Recently the picture image started to darken just prior to stutting down.
A visitor to my home mentioned that she has the same problems wih the same make and model.
She claimed that it was due to power line interference with remote control.
I believe that this type of interference woud be related to inadequate insulation from other signals.
My TV technician tells me that they are replacing numerous power supply units on these models.
He replaced three power supply units in this month alone.
They will not repair this unit for me, even though it is in my warranty agreement to do so for failing to repair.
They just come over and clear the memory cache.
When I call to book a new repair, the Brick gets him to call me back and while trying to explain the problem I have trouble hearing him because there is a baby crying loudly in the background.
In other words, this "fly by the seat of his pants (cell phone address) homeless technician" is either living in or or working out of a mobile repair van with his whole family.
What ever happened to maufcturers or TV shops that you could trust?

Collapse -
Samsung 42" Plasma
by LB36 / January 19, 2011 6:22 AM PST

It is the power supply it cost us 305.00 to have it fixed i am very very disappointed in this product i will never buy a samsung product again...they should stand behind this ..everyone is having problems with this its all over the computer...sad of course its just out of warranty ....

Collapse -
Same thing happens to cars.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2011 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung 42" Plasma

Yet folk accept it. This is not a Samsung only issue as you discover BAD CAPS in other makes and PCs.

Samsung has been doing some "one time repair" but it takes a little effort and your set has to be on the list.
Bob

Collapse -
Mine was a bad solder on a transistor
by JeffKnox / April 13, 2012 2:39 PM PDT

My son brought one of these home that would come on then go off and just click.
I did some research, examined the board and fixed the problem.
Most people were talking about capacitors, but these looked fine. (The big capacitor plague is pretty much over.)
Examining the back of the board I noticed a solder point that looked a little toasty. Carefully wiggling the post showed slight movement. I found a tech tip on a repair forum that mentioned this specific solder point as causing this exact problem. I got my soldering iron and some fresh solder. Heated up the post and got a good solder joint. The particular transistor I had to resolder was marked ZDX801 on the board.
The TV works fine now.
A bad solder joint will lose contact as the machine heats up. It will also cause excessive heat as the electricity tries to jump the gap. That's why bad solders often look a little cooked.
It's easy to screw up a circuit board with a bad solder job so it requires care and a little skill and knowledge, but it's not terribly hard. Worst case you can always buy the whole board for about $100. The part number is on the board. Eight screws and a few plugs and you're golden.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!