Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Sarah Palin's new job ...

by Bill Osler / January 11, 2010 8:10 PM PST

I haven't seen it anywhere but NPR yet, but I heard a radio report this AM that Ms Palin will be taking a job as a talking head on Fox.

I don't know if this is a long term career goal or if it is intended to be a step on the way to an office in Washington. Either way it's an interesting move. If she DOES have the gravitas to be a credible candidate she might have an opportunity to prove it. If, as I suspect, she does NOT have what it takes then that also should become evident.

Palin To Spread Her Conservative Message On Fox News : NPR

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sarah Palin's new job ...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sarah Palin's new job ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think it was Hannigan last night
by TONI H / January 11, 2010 8:31 PM PST

that mentioned that being a 'talking head' at Fox would also give her a great opportunity to familiarize herself much more with world politics so if she does decide to run in 2012, she would be more credible and informed than she appeared to be during some of the candidate interviews. She's already come a long way and might see this opportunity as a positive move for herself down the road. I have to agree with that logic.

TONI H

Collapse -
Don't you think the Republicans would be better served....
by Josh K / January 12, 2010 12:30 AM PST

....by a candidate who already knows these things and doesn't have to take a job at Fox to "familiarize herself more with world politics?"

I understand that people like her, etc. but come on. A Palin candidacy would be a joke. If she managed to survive the primaries and get nominated, it would be a bigger joke. All that "yooo betcha" aw-shucks hokiness has already gotten her further than it should have.

Collapse -
what have you got against real people Josh?
by James Denison / January 12, 2010 12:34 AM PST

Thankfully she's not a shepard boy who expects to become king. That would be just awful.

Collapse -
Define an "unreal" person, James
by Josh K / January 12, 2010 1:33 AM PST

Is the fact that she knows next to nothing about basic civics and world geography supposed to be a plus or something?

Collapse -
unreal person
by James Denison / January 12, 2010 6:29 AM PST

one who's public face differs greatly from who he/she really is. Someone who believes a certain way in private, but runs for office like a wolf in sheep's clothing, they are not what they project. Someone who deliberately lies when it suits them and they can get away with it. The human version of a 3 dollar bill, a wooden nickle. Someone who is untrustworthy. I could go on....

Collapse -
I call them phoney/liars/politicians
by JP Bill / January 12, 2010 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: unreal person

but not an "unreal person"

Collapse -
(NT) You get what you see?
by JP Bill / January 12, 2010 6:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Candidate?
by EdHannigan / January 12, 2010 12:38 AM PST

For what? Who says?

Speaking of "joke" we've got one in the White House now. King of ALL 57 5tates.

Collapse -
Press Secretary in a Republican administration?
by James Denison / January 12, 2010 12:31 AM PST

LOL, I bet she could deliver some zingers. She certainly couldn't be worse than the current press secretary.

Collapse -
Could be further polarizing her
by Steven Haninger / January 11, 2010 9:01 PM PST

I can't see where any aspiring politician could (or should) benefit by aligning with a news organization that has a reputation for a political leaning. The same would go for one of another party aligning with news organization that shows favor to their party. Someone who'd want to lead "all" people should avoid being antagonistic toward any person. I've said here before that the only promise a politician is guaranteed to keep is the one to fight. More fighting is, IMO, not needed.

Collapse -
It might just be...
by EdHannigan / January 11, 2010 9:18 PM PST

that she doesn't have the political aspirations that everyone assumes she does.

Actually, I'm not so sure it is a negative. I've heard that Democrats are asking that Ed Shulz (MSNBC) run for something.

Collapse -
You could be right
by Steven Haninger / January 11, 2010 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: It might just be...

The job of being in the chair is quite different from that of putting someone else in the chair.

Collapse -
I am sure that is very good news
by Angeline Booher / January 11, 2010 11:25 PM PST

..... for her supporters and Fox News viewers.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
It's a job....
by Willy / January 11, 2010 11:34 PM PST

For whatever reason, FOX has been in the Rep. corner. It makes sense that they provide Palin with a job, heck what's a little help amongst friends, right.

On the grand scheme of things, she gets a "JOB"(she's not employed), continues to place her face in the public view(thus kept politically alive), gains insight and inroads to whatever those may lead besides the news/journalism side of things. Hopefully, she'll build some form of public trust and she may well have it given to her unless a real open forum and she's left to fend for herself. But that's not the case for many in similar circumstances, it will be prepared for her, have a staff, someone to bounce ideas from and best of all, present that to her viewing public, which I'm sure FOX may see as a profitable benefit at least for now. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
She was a stay-at-home Mom
by Angeline Booher / January 11, 2010 11:41 PM PST
In reply to: It's a job....

.... while her husband built up their finances working the North Slope. After she became Governor he shared her office and committee meetings. I will be curious to see if he will be given any on -camera time..

Regardless, I suspect her book royalties will not necessitate hus returning to the North Slope.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
You read the book?
by James Denison / January 12, 2010 12:30 AM PST

I got a copy for Christmas myself.

Collapse -
(NT) No. I read the Anchorage Daily News.
by Angeline Booher / January 12, 2010 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: You read the book?
Collapse -
(NT) That's more than she does, LOL
by Josh K / January 12, 2010 1:33 AM PST
Collapse -
He doesn't
by TONI H / January 12, 2010 12:55 AM PST

appear to me to be the type of man who would be willing to stay idle....He's a total go-getter and will find something to keep busy with and continue to provide an income for his family no matter what, I imagine.

TONI H

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 4:12 AM PST

She has a job and what is the problem with that?

She may have ulterior motives, but we don't know that. But even if she does, so what?

Mark

Collapse -
Fox Television was a creation of News Corp as the US arm
by Ziks511 / January 12, 2010 11:22 AM PST

in television of very Conservative Australian media mogul Rupert Murdoch with the participation of Roger Ailes, Republican operative and dirty tricks master.

That's your "For whatever reason". It was planned from the beginning.

Having seen four years of Sky TV and Sky News in Britain I can assure you that Fox is incredibly slanted even with regard to Murdoch's British outlets, Sky TV et al. If Murdoch pulled the newspaper tricks he uses in Australia and the UK (namely topless pictures on Page 3 and incessant scandal mongering and up-skirt shots of celebrities and politicians wives) they wouldn't be tolerated in the US.

All politicians are looking toward their next campaign, and nation-wide exposure in a protected environment with handlers scripting her responses will go a long way to reversing the perception that she's not very bright. Most people expect Sarah Palin to at least try for the Presidential nomination for 2012. Personally, that wouldn't be enough to reassure me, but I'm hardly compatible with her politics anyway.

Rob

Collapse -
Palin to debut on Bill O'Reilly tonight (tuesday)
by grimgraphix / January 12, 2010 5:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Gee, let me guess
by Josh K / January 12, 2010 6:25 AM PST

They'll talk for 10 minutes, 9 of which will be the two of them blaming the media for pretty much everything.

Collapse -
At least you can depend on Palin...
by grimgraphix / January 12, 2010 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: Gee, let me guess

... to keep the moral high ground, and never ask any of those "Got'cha" questions like those media types are prone to askin, dontcha know.

Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!