TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Sanyo 50" Plasma hdtv issues

by rick-m / June 1, 2012 10:41 AM PDT

I have a Sanyo Plasma HDTV model Number: DP50747 Chassis Number: P50747-03 While playing a video game on HDMI channel I heard a pop and the screen went black but there was still sound going through the device and the back lighting was still on. Opened the chassis to check fuses all 7 are good with a multi-meter, but I found 1 capacitor blown on the Y board. Replaced the capacitor but the screen is gray with a black line on the bottom of screen and has no functionality through remote or manual inputs. clicking from power supply that I have never heard before ( believe they are electronic switches) Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sanyo 50" Plasma hdtv issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sanyo 50" Plasma hdtv issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds somewhat like...
by Pepe7 / June 1, 2012 11:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
i replaced a cap on the y-board
by rick-m / June 2, 2012 4:41 AM PDT

the screen became lighter and an l.e.d started flashing on the logic board could the $28 doller logic board cause the pop no picture ?
P.S is $120 and the y-board is $88 to $149 the good part i guess is the y board is all in one upper ,lower and main!

Collapse -
Crud. In that case...
by Pepe7 / June 2, 2012 5:19 AM PDT

...you should consider buying a new HDTV. Anything over $200 IMO and E to fix a low end flat panel makes little sense when you can find a 50" off brand plasma on sale quite often for not much more, let alone the sales on a name brand with better build quality and PQ. Add in the new warranty and it makes a lot of sense. The 'X' series Pannys are even a better buy IMO than the Sanyos. If you want to stick with a 1080p version which still has the fast switching phosphors (=better performance), look at the 50" U50. Step up from that which includes 3D & more smarttv features would be the 50" UT50. Both < $1000.

FWIW, if you shop at the big box stores like Costco (or another one that accepts american express), it's a cheap way to double the manufacturer's warranty on the new device. You are more likely to find the X series 720p plasmas there though.

Good luck,
Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!