Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Sansa m240 - need win98 driver!!!

by zgbg9 / November 22, 2005 11:49 PM PST

Win98SE won't recognize the Sansa m240 as a removable disk so that I can load files. After checking around, it seems that I need a driver to make it work and I haven't been able to find the right one at Sandisk support or anywhere else. I don't want WinXP! Surely someone has worked around this...can you help me out? This is to be a Christmas gift for my son.

Running Win98SE/USB 1.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sansa m240 - need win98 driver!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sansa m240 - need win98 driver!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Found it!
by zgbg9 / November 25, 2005 7:27 AM PST

Never mind Happy After hours of searching engines and forums (again), I finally found what I needed.

Collapse -
Where?????
by selzner / November 25, 2005 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: Found it!

My son has the Sansa 240, too, and I also have Windows 98se...SanDisk says there is no driver for Win98se, and that they don't support Win98se. We bought the 240 after reading several online descriptions that indicated that it WAS compatible. For now he's loaded his player from a friend's computer that has XP. I HOPE to get a new computer sometime. but for now have to stick with this one.

Collapse -
Here!
by zgbg9 / November 26, 2005 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Where?????
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605

Post #1

This works perfectly for me. After installing the driver and reboot, plugged in the m240 (USB 1.1) and got new hardware wizard. Follow prompts to the *specify location of driver* dialogue and browse to
C:\WINDOWS\INF and let er rip. There is a zip file addition to the INF file further on in this thread that enables more devices if it doesn't work for you. Note that this is only for flash based devices, such as the Sansa players, flash drives..etc. Good Luck!
Collapse -
please be more specific
by joeschoe / December 8, 2005 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Here!

I have the same problem and went to the url you mentioned. I was not able to find the download.
Would you mind guiding me more specifically?

Collapse -
More specific?
by zgbg9 / December 9, 2005 3:12 PM PST

As I said...Post #1 at that link (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43605)
There is a direct link to the driver download at the bottom of that post. Personally, I wouldn't want to download the file until I read the posts in the forum to make sure it was what I might need...That's why I didn't link directly to the download. Wink

Collapse -
sansa not installing on pc
by gamer556 / January 11, 2008 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: More specific?

my sansa m240 wont install on my pc could some one help i think i need a driver and i have windows xp please please help me i would like that!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
More specific 2!
by zgbg9 / December 9, 2005 3:29 PM PST

I went back to check that link and they have added an interface since I downloaded it...but you can still get it. Go to the link (http://rapidshare.de/files/1217842/nusb22e.exe.html) then scroll down to the "premium or free" choices, click free then scroll down on the new page and enter the security code in the box and hit "start download".
Sorry bout that...:o Good luck!

Collapse -
Thank You
by joeschoe / December 11, 2005 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: More specific 2!

The download and the driver worked like a charm.
Thank you for taking the trouble to check the link.

Collapse -
You're welcome...
by zgbg9 / December 27, 2005 1:59 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You

...but the thanks go to Maximus Decim (whoever that is), who created the driver. I must say, it works better than some of the manufacturer drivers I've had to deal with! Loads quick when I connect the m240, and is a snap to use. I had 60 songs loaded on my son's player by Christmas and he was stoked when he got it!

Collapse -
HELP!!
by Laurence702 / January 29, 2006 12:51 AM PST
In reply to: You're welcome...

Hi There!
I have been looking for a driver that lets my Sandisk Sansa m240 get songs from my Windows 98SE. I read your message and I went to go download the driver. I restarted my computer and when it was done, I then plugged in my MP3 player and it did not work. I went to My Computer and there was no "removable disk" link. It did not even direct me to a USB wizard thing your talking about. Please help!
I would appreciate it much.

Sincerely,
-Laurence

Collapse -
Help others help you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2006 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: HELP!!

You could need some motherboard driver or enable the USB ports in the BIOS, but no words about the host machine.

Bob

Collapse -
Did you....?
by zgbg9 / January 29, 2006 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: HELP!!

...install the driver? You said you downloaded the driver, but you know that you have to install it, right? Find the file that you downloaded(nusb22e.exe), and double click on it to install the driver. Then, after rebooting, when you connect the m240 to the USB port, you should see the new hardware wizard (assuming that your usb ports are functioning properly). Follow the prompts to *specify location of driver*, then browse to C:\Windows\INF and click OK. You will see a new icon appear in your taskbar and you should now find a new removable disk in My Computer. The taskbar icon is used to safely disconnect from the usb port (right click on icon and follow prompts). If you have another USB driver already installed, you may have a conflict there and may need to remove it from your system first, I don't know. Sorry if you've already done this, but it wasn't clear from your post. Wink

Collapse -
thankz
by Laurence702 / January 30, 2006 10:06 AM PST
In reply to: Did you....?

duuude!! you rule man!
thank you so much. At first i thought there was no hope for my Mp3 player on my 98! phew!!
oh one more question(sorry to bother you) but does this driver install work w/ other MP3 players(because i might want to buy another) or just the sansa?
thank you sooo sooo much
later
-laurence

Collapse -
You're welcome...
by zgbg9 / January 30, 2006 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: thankz

...glad it worked for you. The guy that created the driver is the one that ruulz tho! This is a generic USB driver for flash-based devices, so I would think it will probably work with most flash players and mini-drives, but you won't know til you try it. There's no list of specific devices that it is compatible with that I know of.

Collapse -
i cant do it
by AL_JR / September 27, 2007 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you....?

hi i dont know why i cant intall the driver i download because when i put to examine the file (C:\Windows\INF) it said to me that I need to put one disk ......... why it said so

Collapse -
driver for sansa 130
by taz1976 / January 12, 2006 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Here!

this driver works perfect it automatically recognizes the drives and it worked like a charm

Collapse -
mps player sansa240
by cashmere43 / December 26, 2006 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Found it!

You stated that you found what you needed to use the player. I received a sansa240m mps but I only have windows 98 and it says it requires XP which I really don't want to upgrade to. Did you find a solution to use the mp3 player with windows 98?

Collapse -
Download SanDisk Driver
by AVgeek / December 7, 2005 12:20 AM PST

You don't need a third party driver. Go to SanDisk and download the driver for Digital Audio Player.

After you run the .exe and reboot, connect your device. Win98 prompts you for the location of the driver. Choose from list, don't make a choice, and then next. It should list all drivers for all devices. On my list, there is an unlabeled first entry. Selecting that reveals a list of drivers on the right, one called USB Device Driver. I selected that and have no problems accessing my Sanza.

I chose the driver for the 512MB device since I have the Sanza e130, however, I am guessing that any driver there will work, because you end up telling win98 that the device is a generic USB device and it shows up as two additional removable drives accessible directly or via Windows Media Player.

Collapse -
thanks, but Sansa e130 and Sansa m240 are different
by selzner / December 7, 2005 10:33 AM PST

Thanks, but Sandisk and I have already communicated multiple times on this and they assure me that there is NO support for Win98se for the Sansa m240. I agree that there is a driver for all of the "e" models and I did try using that driver, but it doesn't work for the "m" models. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck - I know my way around my PC and how to find drivers and such. It's this model of Sansa that isn't compatible, and that's fine because I can't expect manufacturers to keep supporting Win98 forever. I have a viable workaround until I do break down upgrade my personal system.

Collapse -
e130 windows 98 se driver
by tsteigerwalts / December 26, 2005 1:03 PM PST

I used the Cruzer Mini/Micro driver for the e130 and it appears to work fine. I have sent email to Sandisk asking if they see any issues with doing this.

Collapse -
yeah..
by blahblah323 / December 26, 2005 8:51 PM PST

I just got a sansa m300 player, but I can't get it to work. My computer doesn't recognize the removable disk, I tried downloading that program ^ but said it wasn't compatible with my windows system. (windows ME)I don't know much about windows, because ive been a mac user up till now. Can you please give me any advice you have so I can get my mp3 player to work? Ive looked everywhere...
thanks.

melody

Collapse -
Driver for Cruzer
by tsteigerwalts / December 26, 2005 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: yeah..
Collapse -
but we're talking about the m240
by selzner / December 27, 2005 12:46 AM PST

Again, I agree that there are Win 98se drivers for the e series...not for the m series. Sandisk has confirmed this to me several times in direct communication with their technical staff, not just the website. Sandisk does not support Win98 for their m series of mp3 flash players.

Collapse -
Is there a driver for Windows Me for the Sansa MP3 player?
by ataylor1984 / August 14, 2006 7:03 AM PDT

My neighbor's daughter bought a Sansa MP3 player that matches the descriptions in this discussion and I went and downloaded the mass-storage driver. It would not run the exe to install the driver and then I realized that his OS was Windows Me, not Windows 98. Has anyone gotten the driver (or some other USB driver) to work on Windows Me to support these MP3 players? Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Collapse -
Driver for Sansa series 200 Windows 98
by ohm / August 23, 2007 10:40 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?