Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

sansa m240 device not recognized

by tpalmer329 / January 16, 2006 8:53 AM PST

I am having trouble getting my sansa m240 mp3 player to work with my computer. Everytime I plug it into the usb port I get a messsage that states "usb device not recognized". The tech people at Sandisk have been no help. Their suggestions haven't resulted in a fix i.e. new usb hub, uninstall driver, re-install new drivers, talk with computer maker. I am using windows xp and have tried to use a powered usb hub that up to this point has not worked either. Per sandisk there is no driver to download. I have reinstalled drivers from the computer's home site and from the original disks. I'm at a loss at what to do now. Does anyone have a quick fix or solution for this problem for a computer novice like myself.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sansa m240 device not recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sansa m240 device not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sansa m240 device not recognized
by Ctorey / July 1, 2006 6:09 AM PDT

I'm having the same exact problem with my Sandisk M240. I also called Sandisk and they were completly useless !!! Did you ever find a solution to this problem ???

Collapse -
Just this note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.

Members could be better help if the details were provided without others having to ask. Help others help you.

Bob

Collapse -
Directly into the back of the computer
by loblolly / July 20, 2006 12:20 AM PDT

The IRiver clix did the same thing through a USB Hub. Try plugging it directly into the computer, bypassing all hubs.

Collapse -
link
by cork2win / July 20, 2006 1:41 AM PDT

javascript:ol('http://ct.cnet-ssa.cnet.com/clicks?t%3d2946231-7ac06419a127856ba5e7d19d4aa30137-bf%26s%3d5%26fs%3d0'); that is a link

Collapse -
I HAD the same problem!
by jtok4jesus / June 5, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

Hi,
I had the exact same problem listed in this thread. This is what I found on another site to fix it.
Make sure your M240 is not connected to the computer. Then go into the "settings" menu and then go to the "usb" part. Then Select "MSC" from the menu, instead of "Auto Select (or something like that).
Then turn off your player and connect it to the Win XP computer and it will be fully recognized and you can then go to My Computer and see it there and use it.

Collapse -
Problems with Sansa Devices
by heron30 / June 9, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

I spent days trying to make my Sansa m250 work with Napster-to-Go. After reformatting the device Napster would recognize it and let me transfer. The next time I would plug it in, it would not recognize it (even tho Windows would) and I would be unable to transfer tracks. I uninstalled Windows Media Player 11, reinstalled 10; same problem (although I believe 10 is a better choice when using DRM software). Finally, I uninstalled the Sansa Updater. Problem solved. Make sure to have your player USB (Menu, Settings, USB) set to MSC while reformatting and Auto Detect when transferring tracks to device.

Collapse -
I had the same problem-and got more
by yardbird539 / February 20, 2009 4:09 PM PST

Oh yes, I followed your advice, got rid of one problem and got a lot of other problems instead.

What happened was that I couldn't access the MP3-player after a re-installation of my computer. So I used the method described in the previous post.

What happened then was that when I did access the files on my MP3-player in order to add some new songs, all the old songs stored on the MP3-player had totally different numbers (and no names) than they had before. So I realized something was wrong and deleted all files on the MP3 and re-installed them.

The result was that when I played the songs on the device, they were badly mixed up. An album with one artist started with a song from another and that song was missing in the file where it should have been etc.

So I formatted the drive and spent several hours to re-install the files, one by one.

That solved most of the problems, except one.

On one album, a song from another album starts and that song is missing from the album where it should have been. I've removed and re-installed over and over again but the problem remains.

If I remove that particular song, another song from the wrong album shows up where it shouldn't belong.

If I remove the complete album, a song from the first album (the one I tried to play in the first place) is removed as well.

Or to make it simple: Album A starts with track 6 from Album B. Track 6 is missing from album B but when I access the files from the computer, everything seem to be in order.

If I remove track 6 from album B, then track 7 will start album A when I try to play it.

If I remove the whole album B, track 4 from album A will dissapear as well.

Note that I've hade those albums and those songs installed for over a year without any problem.

So let's face it: Sansa M240 is CRAP. I strongly suggest everyone who reads this thread to throw it away and buy a new MP3-player and NOT a SanDisk product.

I've written to SanDisk but so far no reply. If I don't get any reply in the next 3 days, my Sansa M240 will make a lovely flight out of my window and down on the street and I will gladly pay a sum to the first driver who runs it over with a car.

I've lost a good nights sleep thanks to this parody of a MP3-player.

Collapse -
It's working again thanks to good support
by yardbird539 / March 3, 2009 2:42 PM PST

Well, I'm doing something unusual here, replying to my own post but I have to do this because thanks to the wonderful people at Sansa support, the device is working again.

It took some time and honestly, I don't know what I did to get the device working again.

I re-installed the drivers and also imported a device called Sansa Media Converter (which I never used). Somewhere down the road, something must have worked out because now the device works again as it has done for two years.

For some reason, I don't see it as a crap device anymore and I have no intention to throw it out of the window either! Happy

No reason to be dissatisfied when the strange problem could be solved. Now I can listen to music in my headphones again!

So my advice is: If you have any treouble with this device, cintact the people at Sansa support. They are great and will do their best to help you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!