Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Sansa Clip question

by bozobrain / February 9, 2009 12:50 AM PST

I have a Sandisk Sansa E140 (ancient, I know, and no, it doesn't require stone chisels or anything to get music on it). Anyway, I'm thinking about getting a Sansa Clip for the extra storage (8GB, whenever they are really availabe. Right now, I have the 1GB player with a 2GB SD card).

One of the things I really love about the E140 is that it just looks like an external drive. There is literally no extra software needed to load it up, there is no requirement to set aside some portion of the player for data if you want to use it to transfer non-music files, and it works fine with Windows and Linux -- just plug it in and move songs to it.

Do the new Sansa players (especially the Clip) work the same way? Or, do they have to interact with Windows through some media protocol, like the Creative players do?

If it's the latter, how much of a hassle is that media protocol? Does it prevent players from working with Linux?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sansa Clip question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sansa Clip question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, in case anyone's interested
by bozobrain / February 11, 2009 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Sansa Clip question

Not much response here, but it turns out there's a forum over at Sandisk (I think it's at sansa.com). Apparently, there are two modes the Clip can work in -- MSC and MTP (or something like that). One mode is required if you want to play DRM protected music, and it doesn't work on linux or look just like a hard drive.

The other mode makes the Clip look just like an external drive and you can drag (non-DRM) music back and forth with no issues, as well as other file types. It supposedly works fine in linux and on the Mac.

Collapse -
It works fine under Windows and Linux... BUT...
by leosgb / February 19, 2009 8:30 AM PST

I have a Sansa Clip 8GB. I really like the device and I feel like the built in radio is an excellent add-on.

As for the Windows/Linux compatibility:
- Songs copied to the folder list fine on box OS's and also play fine in the player.
- Still havent figured out how to create my playlists in my linux system.
- THE MASS STORAGE MODE has an interesting "bug". Files copied to the drive's root in a Windows computer DO NOT SHOW in my Linux and vice-versa. Interesting huh? So basically I cannot copy files from Windows to Linux using it as a flash drive.

Maybe this has something to do with the USB modes you mentioned.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?